Would you buy a Salvage Jeep?

southtj

I'm on the hunt for a TJ and I found one that looks to be in great shape but running a search on the VIN it looks to have been totaled and sold at a salvage auction and repaired. Below are before and after repair pics. 10,900 is what they are asking.
558284313-1L.jpg

What it looks like now.
bc513d16008c3a391a229fec64cf2833fba728e4.jpg

As a daily driver or trail rig?
As aDD I'd be worried about the frame and suspension alignment... drivetrain...

JPNinPA
Using Jeepz.com app

suspicious - that visual damage totaled a vehicle valued at over 10K ?

And it has a salvage tittle?

It would be a daily driver for a few years with the goal of it become a toy later.

K-2, I'm really just making assumptions. The image I found was watermarked with an auction site name so from that I made a bunch of assumptions concerning it being totaled and if that were the case it would be a salvage title. Unfortunately it's out of town so I can't easily go and inspect it.

I just found out that the dealer buys wrecked cars from insurance companies and fixes and sells them. They stated that this was has a Rebuilt title and has been inspected by the state as required for selling salvaged vehicles. Here is what they said about the damage:

This particular vehicle has had some damage on the right front. We had to replace the front bumper, hood and RH fender. Driver and Passenger Airbags were deployed and were replaced and the airbag module was reset and there was no frame damage on this vehicle. The engine and transmission and other electrical components were not hurt and the damage on this vehicle was cosmetic only and very fixable. Everything has been fixed and computer aligned.

Seems like a good deal.

In my opinion the impact to deploy airbags has to be significant. I do not know the values on what it takes. Definitely check the frame and suspension. Wheel bearings, ball joints... Check that all the rims are not bent.

Regards,
JPNinPA

Sent using TapTalk

I bought back my totaled vehicle and fixed it and brought it in for inspection once. They only checked that the lights worked. Everything else could have been ready to kill someone but their only concern was the stupid lights. A salvage titled vehicle isn't worth a fraction of a non salvaged title. After inspecting it, I'd offer them 6 grand on it and go up a little and be prepared to walk away if you don't get your way.

Back