How do you guys battle salt / rust / winter?

TerryMason

Administrator
Staff member
We finally had a break in the weather, and I was able to hose down my Jeep pretty good. I was too lazy to get the pressure washer out though... I think this weekend I'm going to spray the bottom down with some fluid film.

What do you guys do to get the road salt off your Jeeps, and battle winter?

I was wondering the same thing. Since I can't take it through the car wash because of the soft top I went to the do it yourself place. I sprayed the underside with the pressure washer the best I could but I doubt I could get it all. Maybe I'll just do that again and hope for the best.

Ugh?... Soap n water?

It's salt.

But I did read about someone using old oil and something like alcohol in a sprayer to coat the bottom of the jeep to act as a protectant. Not enough to keep dripping but a light thin coat. http://bestride.com/news/6-ways-to-prevent-rust-this-winter

Go hillbilly and slowly drive over your lawn sprinkler.

Regards,
JPNinPA

Sent using TapTalk

Last edited:

Alright, that lawn sprinkler is a pretty good idea.

Well unfortunately, the stuff the state sprays " magnesium chloride " is much more corrosive then salt.
I use Fluid film and boiled linseed oil.
Using boiled linseed is much easier and faster to apply.....you simply thin it with mineral spirits and spray it on the under carriage using a garden sprayer.

Back