Got my first jeep..

Dylan

I got my first jeep 2 weeks ago and its revving high and wont go through the gears and i dont know why. I'm a new member so I don't yet know my way around here bt im hooked i love this 94 xj I got i just would love to get it running good if anyone has any thoughts please let me know.. this is her tho real stock bt i plan on keeping this for a long time
b2a7361921bd7cef1006766a321d43ab-1.jpg
16aecf81d09f9891e6a5c003084bd720-1.jpg

Sent from my [device_name] using Jeepz.com mobile app

High rpm is likely due to a vacuum leak. Check your vac lines from the intake out. Look for breaks, cracks or dryrot. You could also spray WD40 on the lines while idling and listen for the engine to stumble or rpm to change. Also, spray around the injectors or bottom of the carb, the base of the intake and sparkplugs.

JPNinPA
Using Jeepz.com app

Last edited:

I'm in Australia, well below that Tasmania. I'm going to take it took a local mechanic that does alot ofwork on the Xj's . What vaccume hose am I looking for and where should I look. I'd rather do it myself if I can bt dont know what I'm doing really. Still picking things up easily tho

Any hose connected to the intake is a vac line.
There are a few. I'll look for a diagram, but need to know if you have a 4 or 6 cylinder.

Not shifting? Could be vacuum or fluid. Check the transmission fluid level and color. Consider changing the fluid and filter (if any) given its a used vehicle.

JPNinPA
Using Jeepz.com app

Last edited:
0900c152800a9b93-1.gif

0900c152800a9b93-1.gif

Both 4.0 and 2.5 look close to the same.
The one marked to climate control is often st fault. It usually extends to a reservoir under the battery and to other components. So there are lots of opportunity to leak. One obvious indication there is a leak here is your heater only blows out of the defrost no matter where you set the selector.

JPNinPA
Using Jeepz.com app

Nar the fluid is fine. I had someone put a new gear box in it because the oil in the previous box had chunky metal in it and it was real loose in the gear shift, didn't have to press the button to move it stuff like that and it was revving out high too. So my father in law and his friend tool a look at it and said that it was doing it because it need a new box so they did that and got it all back together and yea still didn't wanna change into 2nd till 5000rpm

I dont think the heaters or the air con work very well..
Also when I put my foot down on the pedal if it's going to rev high it feels like the acceleration drops out for a second then it comes back bt revs out to 5000rpm

Back