Home network replacement

JPNinPA

Ok I've been having issues with my home internet network. I've had the ISP out here several times. They ran a new cable to the house. But still every once in a while the Internet drops. Either you get booted off the router or the communication is interrupted. Game lag or slow page loading.
I've changed modems two times in three years and routers about the same. All are compatible with my ISP.

I replaced patch cables to CAT7 from the CAT5&6 I had.
Next is rewire the house cable with Quad foil RG6.

How often do you replace modems and routers?

Regards,
JPNinPA

Sent using TapTalk

I've never had a router go bad, however I have had to replace modems - mainly because of problems like you are having, where I don't have any real insight, and am just throwing parts at it. I've been running the same router for at least three years now.

What do you do to temporarily fix the situation? Does rebooting the router or modem bring you back online? Also, do your neighbors have any of these problems?

Lately rebooting everything modem, router, PC or iPad... Then calling the isp to see what they are doing in their end or if they could see something on ours. Does it work? Idk but it passivates us till it stops at a min.
I've even knocked devices off the net to be sure it's not every PC downloading the same update in the background.

Idk if neighbors have the same issue. I'll have to ask. I do have a new neighbor and have considered their WiFi may be conflicting with ours due to proximity. Dueling antennas if you will. I could see their network in more than 1/2 of my house. So I moved the router 20 ft away and more toward the center of my house. The jury is out on if this works.

My new modem runs very hot compared to the old one. I'm looking into if this is normal.

Why do modems die? What are the signs?

Regards,
JPNinPA

Sent using TapTalk

I would start with the simple stuff, and make one change at a time. When you experience the problem, take a computer and hard wire into your router if you don't have one already, and see if you can get on the internet through a wired connection.

If the wired internet doesn't work, then I'd reboot the modem and wait 10 minutes and try again.
Then reboot the router, wait 10 minutes and try again.
After that call the cable company and have them reset it.

If it takes calling the cable company to resolve the issue, I would then verify that your modem is on their list of approved devices.

Assuming you have a cable modem, from there I would start looking at your coax wiring. When they ran a new line to your house, did they install a new splitter on the side of your house?
If you get fed up, then run a new coax cable from your modem out to the outside splitter (I'd run it out the window as a temporary solution, before I tore up the walls).

Back when I had a cable modem I did the same dance as you. One time I found a bad coax cable run inside my house. Another time I found bad coax splitter outside. I would be very surprised if you've had a bad router - let alone two of them. Modems, routers, cable boxes, heck, just about anything without a hard drive lasts forever these days.

I've had the same modem for about 5 years now, since we moved into this house and just replaced the router last week but that was because the wired ports went out. I did have problems with slow internet/cable tv dropping out for awhile but they determined there was a problem on the pole and they fixed it. Not sure what they replaced but this was after they had already run a new cable from the pole to the house.

On interfering wireless, you can go into your router settings and change the channel so you are not on the same one they are. I use a free program called WirelessNetView to see what channel the other people in the neighborhood are on and set mine to something else. I've not done that yet to my new one and I think it is set to auto but performance has been much better with this new one so I haven't messed with it.

I'm with Terry though and would suspect it's a bad cable or connection somewhere.

I would start with the simple stuff, and make one change at a time. When you experience the problem, take a computer and hard wire into your router if you don't have one already, and see if you can get on the internet through a wired connection.

If the wired internet doesn't work, then I'd reboot the modem and wait 10 minutes and try again.
Then reboot the router, wait 10 minutes and try again.
After that call the cable company and have them reset it.

Yep did all this.

If it takes calling the cable company to resolve the issue, I would then verify that your modem is on their list of approved devices.

I picked from their approved list verified on several other forums and sites and had the ISP verbally confirm it is approved.

Assuming you have a cable modem, from there I would start looking at your coax wiring.

Next step. I had them run the test to check for breaks in the line. That is how they found the outside line broken.

When they ran a new line to your house, did they install a new splitter on the side of your house?

Yes they installed a new splitter. They replaced theirs that was less than 1yr old. They also put new ends on all coax.

If you get fed up, then run a new coax cable from your modem out to the outside splitter (I'd run it out the window as a temporary solution, before I tore up the walls).

First I'm going to log into the router and modem to see s/n and power ratios. It could be too much noise or too much/little signal.
Then run 50 ft of 4 foil RG6 or better.

I would be very surprised if you've had a bad router - let alone two of them. Modems, routers, cable boxes, heck, just about anything without a hard drive lasts forever these days.

I agree thats why I posted.

JPNinPA
Using Jeepz.com app

Last edited:
I've had the same modem for about 5 years now, since we moved into this house and just replaced the router last week but that was because the wired ports went out. I did have problems with slow internet/cable tv dropping out for awhile but they determined there was a problem on the pole and they fixed it. Not sure what they replaced but this was after they had already run a new cable from the pole to the house.

On interfering wireless, you can go into your router settings and change the channel so you are not on the same one they are. I use a free program called WirelessNetView to see what channel the other people in the neighborhood are on and set mine to something else. I've not done that yet to my new one and I think it is set to auto but performance has been much better with this new one so I haven't messed with it.

I'm with Terry though and would suspect it's a bad cable or connection somewhere.

Thanks ill try that program.

JPNinPA
Using Jeepz.com app

Ok downstream S/N is 40.0-41.5dB and power is -3.6 to -6.2 dBmV
Upstream is 43 to 46 dBmV

These seem like good numbers.

Regards,
JPNinPA

Sent using TapTalk

Terry you said when you were on cable modem. What are you on now?

I went from Cox cable to Verizon Fios, and it's great.

I had issues like you when I was on Cox, things would work for 10-12 months, then "go bad" and I'd have to reset the devices, and call COX. Now that I'm on Fios I have no complaints at all.

At the end of the day, I pay $94 a month for a basic TV package (cartoon network, mtv, etc), and 50 / 50 mb internet. I'm very happy with it.

Well so far so good. Using the a new Aries Surfboard and some CAT7 cables for the games and PC. I also moved my router 20 ft into another room. This is to get it in a more in the open and away from the neighbors router.
Yes if I haven't mentioned it I get the strongest signal of my neighbors wifi in the room my router sat in.

Regards,
JPNinPA

Sent using TapTalk

Back