Cataclean?

bradleyheathhays

2011 Crown Vic here with 305k miles, and today my engine light comes on. Scan at the local Advanced comes up with 4 codes on the cat converter. Guy says I need to get something called Cataclean and run it through the gas tank to correct the problem.

Is it worth doing this...will it make the engine run better or get better gas mileage?

Should I use Cataclean or some other product to get this done?

Post up the codes. Codes sometimes have Pulitzer causes and some grouped together point to a specific cause.

How old is the CAT years or miles.

Are you burning oil or have you?

Depending on the above I wouldn’t put my faith in chemicals to revive the dead.

Regards,
JPNinPA

Sent using TapTalk

Last edited:
Thanks for the help and sorry it took so long to get back. The light went off but finally came back on again yesterday so I got it reread again...all 4 codes are the same...P0430.

Vehicle has 305k miles and I'm not sure how long the cats been on it. I just got it a year ago at 280k.

I go through about a quart of oil every 1000 miles or so but I'm not sure if it's burning it or leaking it. No spots show up in my driveway though.

So you might see if you could borrow a code reader that can get the O2 signals. The upstream O2 should have fast switching and down stream is slower and lower. If they are both fast your cat is empty.
You could also compare the front of the CAT temp to the back. There should be s few hundred deg F difference. Also if you tap on the CAT when cold you should sound full with no rattling.

Sent from my iPhone using Jeepz.com mobile app

Last edited:

Sometimes it is the CAT and sometimes it is the O2 sensor. Once you know the o2 switched different really slow or not at all, pull the back O2 and inspect for damage. If it is really oiled or carbon up there is a method to clean the O2 but sometimes your better off replacing it.

Sent from my iPhone using Jeepz.com mobile app

Last edited:
Ok thanks JPN I'll follow your advice.

One of the reasons I've also been told this code could be setting is that the engine is burning oil, which it does...about a quart every 1000 miles or so. Wonder how to fix that?

Back