My Jeep ownership is off to a rough start...

buttons276

I just joined up a few days ago because I was jeep shopping. Well, I bought a 2010 Rubicon Unlimited yesterday. I was a happy guy! Then I get home from work today and smell a bad smell. Long story short I have both front axles leaking pretty bad. They had replaced the ball joints before I picked it up yesterday. I’m guessing when they put the axles back in the screwed up the seals. I have owned a 2000 Grand Cherokee for years so I know what a big job it is to change these seals. I have a 6 month/4500 mile warranty. I have called the dealership and they promised me I don’t need to worry they are going to repair it. It made me feel about 50% better than I did. It just sucks. So Saturday I’m going to let aaa tow it back to the dealership and I figure it will be days before I get the Jeep back. I’m trying to look at the positives...Atleast the seals will be new. It still sucks.

Is there any other common problems with these that I need to pay close attention to while I still have time left on the warranty? Ive been a mechanic for 12 years so I’m not clueless about cars. But we don’t have a ton of wranglers come in our shop. Any thoughts or advice would be really appreciated. Thanks!

Hang in there man, I would suggest using it offroad a time or two before that warranty wears off just to shake down for anything else that might need replaced.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I was tempted to do that. But they did tell me any off-roading would void my warranty. I was going to take it to the local Jeep dealership this weekend to let them check out everything. I was especially wanting things like the lockers and the sway bar disconnect checked since I really didn’t know how to check it myself. But it doesn’t look like I’ll be driving it this weekend. I love this damn thing and I wouldn’t even mind having to do some small stuff myself. I just want to make sure the big stuff is right. Atleast I’ll still have 4400 miles to drive it before the warranty is gone. Hopefully any big problems will show it before then. I hadn’t even got to take the top off yet damn it!

WT ?? Off roading in a jeep voids the warranty? Is that in writing?
I’d wheel it, because they maybe hiding something like transfer case issues...

All jeep wranglers suffer from death wobble at some point. Vibes kick in at 65mph. Then you crap your pants

If they keep it longer than 2 days have them renew the start date of the warranty to the day you get it back. Their issue not yours.

Sent from my iPhone using Jeepz.com mobile app

Last edited:
WT ?? Off roading in a jeep voids the warranty? Is that in writing?
If not wheel it cause they maybe hiding something like transfer case issues...

Well that’s possible. Which, being a mechanic, I can kinda understand the thinking. Someone that doesn’t know what the are doing could very easily get out on some trail and mess up the transmission of clutch. But you never know with used car dealers. I have had it in 4hi and 4 low. I am planning on having the Jeep dealership check out the automatic lockers in the front and back. I tried the sway bar disconnect and the light seemed to do what it’s suppose to. Although I’m not 100% sure how to know if it’s working right. Hence why I plan on getting it to the Jeep dealership.

If you have a dirt road or gravel parking lot near you you can go there and throw it in 4wd and disconnect the swaybars. Just drive it around a bit. You'll notice that when in 4wd the steering is different (it'll want to pull in a straight line, or just generally feel different). That's normal.

If you have a dirt road or gravel parking lot near you you can go there and throw it in 4wd and disconnect the swaybars. Just drive it around a bit. You'll notice that when in 4wd the steering is different (it'll want to pull in a straight line, or just generally feel different). That's normal.

I’ve already had it in 4hi and 4 low and know they work ok. I was more concerned about the automatic lockers. I don’t really understand how they work. I did turn them on and the lights acted like they worked correctly. I’ll try it out some more when I get it back. Im sure they will have it a few days. Changing those seals is a pretty big job. You have to pull the whole differential out.

There is no way to enforce that clause. First, off roading is vague. A dirt road IS a road, just not paved, and certainly is not off road.

It sounds like you bought at a real winner of a dealership.

Anyway, as others have noted, get the Jeep onto a DIRT ROAD and run in 2wd, 4wd high, and 4wd low, and go forward and back. Make sure the shift from 2wd to 4wd high is smooth, then from 4wd high to 2wd. Then test out shifting to 4wd low....that can sometimes be tricky if you are not used to it. For my Jeep, coasting in neutral on the trans about 1 mph, I can easily shift from 4wd high to 4wd low in one continuous smooth pull, and the same going the other direction...it helps to be going in a straight line. Do NOT pause in neutral on the transfer case...if you do, you may need to completely stop and shut down to make the shift.

I'd do a complete fluid change, radiator, trans, transfer, power steering, brake flush, axels, etc....that way you know what you have going on. I'd bet you dollars to donuts when they fix your seals they will salvage and reuse the axel fluid, so I'd change that too after they get done. IMO, OEM fluids or equals are the way to go.

Last edited:
There is no way to enforce that clause. First, off roading is vague. A dirt road IS a road, just not paved, and certainly is not off road.

Anyway, as others have noted, get the Jeep onto a DIRT ROAD and run in 2wd, 4wd high, and 4wd low, and go forward and back. Make sure the shift from 2wd to 4wd high us smooth, then from 4wd high to 2wd. Then test out shifting to 4wd low....that can sometimes be tricky if you are not used to it. For my Jeep, coasting in neutral on the trans about 1 mph, I can easily shift from 4wd high to 4wd low in one continuous smooth pull, and the same going the other direction...it helps to be going in a straight line. Do NOT pause in neutral on the transfer case...if you do, you may need to completely stop and shut down to make the shift.

I'd do a complete fluid change, radiator, trans, transfer, power steering, brake flush, axels, etc....that way you know what you have going on. I'd bet you dollars to donuts when they fix your seals they will say age and reuse the axel fluid, so I'd change that after they get done. IMO, OEM fluids or equals are the way to go.
Yeah again I’ve already tried out 4hi and 4lo. I did that before I ever bought it. My main concern as far as that goes is the lockers. I guess I’ll just get it in the field behind my house and turn both the lockers on and see what happens.

Anyway, as others have noted, get the Jeep onto a DIRT ROAD and run in 2wd, 4wd high, and 4wd low, and go forward and back. Make sure the shift from 2wd to 4wd high us smooth, then from 4wd high to 2wd. Then test out shifting to 4wd low....that can sometimes be tricky if you are not used to it. For my Jeep, coasting in neutral on the trans about 1 mph, I can easily shift from 4wd high to 4wd low in one continuous smooth pull, and the same going the other direction...it helps to be going in a straight line. Do NOT pause in neutral on the transfer case...if you do, you may need to completely stop and shut down to make the shift.

I'd do a complete fluid change, radiator, trans, transfer, power steering, brake flush, axels, etc....that way you know what you have going on. I'd bet you dollars to donuts when they fix your seals they will say age and reuse the axel fluid, so I'd change that after they get done. IMO, OEM fluids or equals are the way to go.

I guess since I’ve been a mechanic for so long I am more understanding about them telling me not to go off roaring during the warranty. For one thing like the one guy said, it’s not like they would be able to tell, so your pretty much on the honor system anyway. I’ve seen what people can do to cars so I think the point is the warranty is suppose to make you feel like you bought it in good condition. Someone that hasn’t been off-roading much could do a lot of damage in one trip if they didn’t know how to drive...clutch, transfer cases...But yeah anyway

Back