To buy or not to buy a Wrangler???? HELP

janzie2242

Hi all,

I am looking for a second car to buy and I have come across a cheap (but well looked after) Wrangler and I am definitely on the fence about whether to take the leap and get it or not even though it might not be the most practical.

I have always loved Wranglers and have dreamed of owning one for agesssssss (about 6 years now) and I hate holding myself back from this opportunity BUT!! I have a few concerns. I used to drive a truck so I am used to low fuel economy but I drive A LOT of miles most days and so something with a little more economy would be handy? How many miles do you usually get to a tank? The majority of my driving is highway driving so I was wondering how it would handle then. Also safety is a concern as my last car got written off due to an accident that wasn't my fault (thankfully I wasn't injured but it shook me up a lot). Also how severe is roof leakage? I live in Australia so we dont get rain often but is it a big enough con that it would discourage you from driving with a top on in the rain?

Thankyou so much for any and all responses, it means a lot!!

Have a lovely day x

What year wrangler are you looking at?
My 2005 gets around 14MPG, but a newer jeep will do better.

As to saftey, I think Jeeps are pretty safe overall when it comes to vehicle impact - most of the photos I see posted are of the other car being totaled. Now you do get a lot of guys who will roll the jeep while goofing off in a parking lot..

If you keep no lift 31 x9.5 all season tires tires you will get better gas milage with 05-06 TJs manual 6 transmission. 3:73 rears. Electric fan eeks about another 1-1.5 mpg.
I get 16-16.5 highway and 15 around town with 33x10.5
But, with 33x9.5s i got at most 18 highway 16.5 town

Sent from my iPhone using Jeepz.com mobile app

Last edited:
Sink money, follow your heart and the tiny voice I tend to think most of the yahoos here do that.

With me a jeep gives me extreme exitement, tackleing an extreme obstakle. A jeep gives me extreme serenity when I need to think, 4 lo on a mountain trail, sneak up on bears and things. If you like that, you are in the right place.

I am looking for a second car to buy and I have come across a cheap (but well looked after) Wrangler and I am definitely on the fence about whether to take the leap and get it or not even though it might not be the most practical.

I have always loved Wranglers and have dreamed of owning one for agesssssss (about 6 years now) and I hate holding myself back from this opportunity BUT!! I have a few concerns. I used to drive a truck so I am used to low fuel economy but I drive A LOT of miles most days and so something with a little more economy would be handy? How many miles do you usually get to a tank? The majority of my driving is highway driving so I was wondering how it would handle then. Also safety is a concern as my last car got written off due to an accident that wasn't my fault (thankfully I wasn't injured but it shook me up a lot). Also how severe is roof leakage? I live in Australia so we dont get rain often but is it a big enough con that it would discourage you from driving with a top on in the rain
The Wrangler is fun adventurous vehicle and not a practical vehicle like a 4dr Corolla. MPG will vary on your commute but figure stock 15-17 town and 19-21 hwy. Ability to drop the top, remove the doors and tackle light-med trails stock makes the Wrangler a unique vehicle. A well fitting soft top or hard top shouldn't have severe roof leakage. I feel relatively safe in my Wrangler probably because I drive a Wrangler differently from other vehicles as its easier to ignore bad drivers that speed without regard for others thanks to the limited (adequate) acceleration and higher CG.

Back