Compressor running when not turned on?

bradleyheathhays

I have an '02 Taurus with 85k miles on her that I just bought. Today when I was checking something under the hood I noticed this metal line cold and dripping with water...

IMG-0812.JPG

I had the air on but turned to the position of arrows pointing out of the dash and floor vents only. The defrost or a/c function was not selected. It seems to be doing it consistently. I haven't traced all the parts of this car's a/c system yet but I don't know of anything else under a hood that turns cold and sweats. Why would my compressor be working when it's not selected? What tests should I run?

Check the switch that it really is changing ac or not. Same for temp control. Any switch AC push button.
Check the fuse and relay.
Is the AC engaged as the car starts or kicks on after 20-40 sec

Sent from my iPhone using Jeepz.com mobile app

I've since been told Ford designed it to turn on in the mode I was running it and the only mode the compressor doesn't come on is the floor only. Who knew.

I've since been told Ford designed it to turn on in the mode I was running it and the only mode the compressor doesn't come on is the floor only. Who knew.
Once in AUTO mode some of these hvac systems are programmed for maintaining max comfort

Back