Oil filters keep coming loose

DragonRI

Every 800-1100 miles I am out of oil. I went to a few repair shops to hear them tell me that the oil filter is loose and that is why I have lost my oil. Yet no one is able to tell me why the oil filters keep coming loose. One guy tightened it on using a torque bar and torquing to 75 lbs and by a month later the filter was loose. Why is this happening? Is it only the threaded pipe the filter screws onto which needs to be changed or the entire oil filter housing. Pardon my ignorance, but what exactly is this part called? Is it meaning I need to change the engine? I am running a 2005 Grand Cherokee Laredo with 3.7 engine.

IME a properly hand-tightened oil filter usually required an oil filter wrench in order to remove the oil filter during the regular OCI. I suspect the oil filter was not properly tightened in the past and hopefully the threads are not the issue. On a cold engine check oil filter for tightness then using a sharpie mark an indicator on the filter and housing. Keep an eye on this mark.

Be sure there is not an old filter gasket stuck on the block.
Inspect the gasket mating area to be sure there is no damage to allow leaking or damage the gasket.
Use the correct sized filter.

The filter receiver (threaded pipe that the filter screws onto) can be replaced. Many screw out. Check that the threads are not damaged to cross threading. Take a pic and post up.
Ive had one come out with the filter on an old vehicle. Be sure it is fully seated before installing a new filter.
Filter once hand tightened may get another 1/4 turn. Too much torque you may cause the gasket to deform and leak.

Another thought is to check oil and block pressure. If your rings leak exhaust gasses and cannot escape (through pcv valve or into the intake ) build pressure and may be blowing it off.

Sent from my iPhone using Jeepz.com mobile app

Last edited:
Back