PSA RECALL on 6-Ton Jack Stands from Harbor Freight

Working under your vehicle can be a rewarding experience and jack stands should be major part of the tools needed to work safely under a vehicle. This is a PSA in case you own a pair of these HF 6-ton jack stands with part# 61197. Present a copy of the pdf to speed the reimbursement process.

Description of Defect :
    "For certain units, the ratchet teeth on the jack stand lifting extension post may inconsistently engage the pawl to a sufficient depth"
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails PSA RECALL on 6-Ton Jack Stands from Harbor Freight-61197-recall.jpg  

PSA RECALL on 6-Ton Jack Stands from Harbor Freight-hf-6k-jack-stand-recall.pdf  

Re: PSA RECALL on 6-Ton Jack Stands from Harbor Freight

Thanks!!!!

Never look down on anyone unless you are helping them up - Jesse Jackson
    "Never look down on anybody unless you're helping him up" - Jesse Jackson

NOTE: there has been a Harbor Freight RECALL UPDATE that adds model# 56371, 61196, and 61197

PSA RECALL on 6-Ton Jack Stands from Harbor Freight-https___s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com_the-drive-cms-content-staging_message-editor-2f1589918010109-.jpg
    Last edited by aggreX; 05-19-2020 at 09:31 PM.

PSA RECALL on 6-Ton Jack Stands from Harbor Freight-3-ton-rclrpt-20e027-9959.pdf

Quoted from Jalopnik:

"Moral of the story here though: If you’ve got Harbor Freight jack stands that were recalled, check in on the above-linked cases to figure out what to do. If you have other Harbor Freight jack stands, I’d strongly recommend ditching them or relegating them to non-life-preserving duty. Being crushed by your car because a cheap jack stand failed would be such a deeply awful way to be killed or maimed, why risk it to save a few bucks?"

Slightly out of focus youtube video but gets right to the point

Quote Originally Posted by aggreX View Post
    Quoted from Jalopnik:

"Moral of the story here though: If you’ve got Harbor Freight jack stands that were recalled, check in on the above-linked cases to figure out what to do. If you have other Harbor Freight jack stands, I’d strongly recommend ditching them or relegating them to non-life-preserving duty. Being crushed by your car because a cheap jack stand failed would be such a deeply awful way to be killed or maimed, why risk it to save a few bucks?"
    I'll have to go out to the shop and check the numbers but I have several HF jack stands that I've used for a long time with no issues. My 6 ton stands are 35+ yrs old. The 3 ton stands are about 10 yrs old. Hopefully this is just an issue with recently manufactured stands.

Finally checked mine - numbers are no where near close to those being recalled
    Last edited by mark sr; 05-20-2020 at 03:41 PM.