LL Jeeper

Hello all. I'm new here. I'm looking at a Rubicon Express 3.5" Coil Lift Kit RE7142PT. It will be installed on a 2018 JK Unlimited Sport S with 35s. I'm wondering if anybody has any input on this brand, lift kit, install problems or extra parts needed to complete install. Thank you.

A side note, this Jeep is a toy. I will take it camping, pull a small camp trailer, run errands, drive fire roads when possible, enjoy how it looks. No hardcore off road runs, my Titanium wont put up with that. Less than 5k miles a year.

Rubicon Express 3.5" Progressive Coil Lift Kit with Twin Tube Shocks - RE7142PT | 4wheelparts.com

Last edited:

Just to verify. You have a 2018 Jk sport 2door? The lift is for a 4 door.

It's difficult to tell what parts they have. The RE webpage doesn't list parts. Tough to tell if the brackets extend rear sway bar end links. Otherwise you will need them. At 3+ inches you start getting into needing more. One item not on their list is longer brake lines. Depending on tire size ( both tall and wide), rubbing may occur. Then you will need Offset rims some use spacers. With much larger tires better brakes.

I don't know about RE lately. But in general lifts may reduce towing capacity.

"2012 and newer may require exhaust mod or front drive shaft"

After install get it aligned. Get ready for DW death wobble. It wasn't in YJs because the leaf springs did a good job of centering the axel. TJ and later do get the issue. While installing make sure all track bar bolts are super tight fitting and tightened to spec. And the front track bar and drag link are parallel. I replaced my stock with thicker and no more DW...KOW.

Regards,
JPNinPA

Never look down on anybody unless you're helping them up. -Jesse Jackson

Last edited:
Sorry, Unlimited / JK(U) It is a 4 door.
Great info.
Ill order exhaust spacers with the kit.
Track Bar & Drag Ling.... Got It..
Thank you, much..!

Last edited:
IMHO, it would be a great investment to upgrade to the Rubicon Express Long Arm suspension. It should do a much better job of maintaining proper suspension geometry.

^agree^ if you lift above 3 inches.

Do not forget longer brake lines mentioned above.

Never look down on anyone unless you are helping them up - Jesse Jackson

From what I've read, the 3.5 inch lift will actually be about 3 inches after I swap out the front and rear bumpers for something heavy duty, LOD for example. Any thoughts on this?

Agree. All springs settle. Some sag. That is why i mentioned the new towing limitation.
Old Man Emu (OME) makes springs with different spring rates to compensate. They are sold under ARB i believe. Might also talk to Currie Enterprise.

Unfortunately the ten pieces of titanium in my spine will keep me to mild trails and fire roads. I think the lift kit I found is a great price at only $600. Seems perfect for the type of paces I will be putting the Jeep through. I like the Idea of long arm upgrades which I believe this kit will allow for but am having a hard time justifying $1500 vs $600. I was however thinking that I would have some extra work done to address the issues of the new angles. Maybe a better kit, long arms, would help that problem? Sorry for any confusion or ignorance, I'm a bit of a novice when it comes to lift kits. Any more advice?.. Its welcome..

The only bad questions are the ones not asked.

I've run 2 in lift with 33x9.5 for years doing mild/mid wheeling as you mention. No big articulation or big bumps... Actually considering long arming my 2.5 in lift.

Why 3.5 in lift?
What tire size you wanting to run?

So as you lift a jeep you change a number of angles that are needed to keep a smooth controllable ride and not wear parts out. Some you could adjust for others you need different parts.
So only focusing on the idea of long arms now. And front only. Back is similar. Your axel is held under the jeep by the control arms and track bar. The track bar keeps the left to right tire to body alignment the control arms keep the front to back alignment. They do more but for now front to back alignment.
The control arms are a fixed length and move in an arch from a pivot point where it bolts to the frame. With no lift the control arms are say 15 deg below parallel to the frame. When you lift a jeep the that angle increases. This changes drive shaft angles, and alignment; caster, caber and toe. Toe can be corrected with alignment, caster with adjustable upper control arms but may worsen drive shaft angles. Camber comes back with caster. Worst case offset ball joints. One change you will notice Is the tire will look farther under the jeep. Not centered in the fender. Second a percentage of force is now sent up the control arm to the frame increasing the shock you feel from a pothole. Plus the bushings get beat up faster. With long arms you increase the radius of the arc! Lowers E delta in the angle and amount of shock you and the joints feel. One benefit is the articulation will not be limited by the control arm. But you are not doing that type of crawling.

Regards,
JPNinPA

What a great response. Thank you.

I want to run 35s.... but I guess I don't have to.. I have done a lot of looking and really like the look of the JKU with a 3.5" on 35s.

I've been really happy with my YJ over the years. It has 33s and I think 2.5" or 3" inch lift on it. I'd like to check but I don't know how.

I don't want to open a can of worms here with the suspension. I don't mind making some upgrades to the suspension here and there.

I'm thinking after the bumpers are replaced a 3.5" lift will settle down to about 3".

Hmmm... I'm just not 100% on the lift and tires. I don't want to create issues but I really like the way I will look. It is a fun vehicle for me and may get 5000 miles a year. That's it..

Mine is a stock JKU with a soft top. I saw the second another JKU at the dealership. I like the look. It has 35s. I would like it a smidge higher.

More thoughts please...

Sent from my SM-G973U using Jeepz.com mobile app

Last edited:

I was coming back to edit and add. Stock short arms have been run on up to 4.5 in lifts. Some have gone as much as 6 in.
You will not be causing issues at 3.5 in. The changes are just what goes with lifting a jeep. The higher you go the more changes needed to keep good geometries.
Some go with a lower spring lift and add a 1 in body lift. If you do this check your transfer case linkages. There is a kit to fix.

Others chime in.

Regards,
JPNinPA

Last edited:
Just saw this. Thought I'd share.

Regards,
JPNinPA

The 3.5" coil lift went well. All in all I ended up with about a 3" gain, however.... it still doesn't feel like my old ride. I also noticed a slight rubbing when extending my suspension while driving through some ruts. I pretty sure I'm gonna add a 2" body lift. Transmission is Automatic. Other than sterring extensions are there any other issues I should be concerned about?

LLJ

Sent from my SM-T720 using Jeepz.com mobile app

After 3.5" coil lift. 20201001_231127.jpeg

Sent from my SM-T720 using Jeepz.com mobile app

Nice

Regards,
JPNinPA

OK, As you can see, Lift Kit Is Done.. Rubicon Express 3.5" Progressive Coil Lift Kit with Twin Tube Shocks - RE7142PT

I also recently installed a 2" Body Lift! Looks and feels great!

Taking all things intro consideration, He does not ride like a stock Jeep anymore...

I was thinking I could use relocation brackets for the control arms etc...
AEV Geometry Correction Brackets for 07-18 Jeep Wrangler JK
[url]https://www.quadratec.com/p/aev/geometry-correction-brackets-07-17-wrangler

[/URL]any thoughts? Please...

What made you think of these brackets? What are you trying to change?
Every lift has different spring rates. Shocks and end geometries. The higher you go the more sway and dip when braking.

Honestly... I was enjoying some "Private Time" and just perusing my "Holiday Quadratec Catalogue" when I saw these. I remembered talking about how my 3.5" coil lift could throw things off a little. I keep the short arms and thought maybe this would improve my ride for a minimal investment. Right now I have not modified the short arms at all, as you can see from the parts included in my 3.5" coil lift kit. It may not be the perfect match for what I have I figured it would get me closer to spec?

Back