Jeep cleaning video

TerryMason

Administrator
Staff member
I'm not sure why, but I've been watching quite a few car cleaning videos, mainly from Stauffer Garage on youtube. I see that he's posted a Wrangler cleaning video that's pretty good. It's cool to see a professional cleaning vehicles. Apparently this cleaning took him 10 hours to complete - not sure that I'll be putting that much effort into my Jeep anytime soon.

Mud cake and dirt on the outside of the jeep is reasonable after an off-road trip but the interior dirt, stains, trash and debris is over the top. Glad to see the detailer wore some PPE as it's sort of like forensic science digging into the owners past history and how he or she lived or lives. Detailing for 10 hours on a jeep is excessive as doors, carpets, seats and trim are much easier to remove than the average vehicle. Only takes a few minutes to trash a jeep in the mud. The jeep with those street tires probably didn't get too deep before getting stuck.

One thing I never did and will not do is use a power washer on the soft top. Two reasons. One the dirt is an abrasive. Second your water is not dirt free. If like mine the heavy mineral deposits can frost a glass if hot and high pressure. Lastly if they are older they are brittle, same for the old top.
I'm not perfect but my windows were clean and scratch free for years.

Hose off the heavy dirt. Soap (suds)it up without rubbing and rinse with heavier spray. Then suds them up and clean making long strokes. Not circles or scrubbing. Rinse well.

The two bucket system works. But clean top down. The apron area has the most ground in dirt to scratch paint and whatever.

He mentions an under carriage cleaner. Use a lawn sprinkler. Give it 2-5 min every 2-3 ft as you drag it from back to front under the vehicle.

Another 'never' is using an ice scraper on glass. Another way to cause micro scratched in windshields. If not too cold out start vehicle with defroster on high. Splash a bucket of warm water on glass. Use wipers to clear viewable area.

One do is waxing glass. Windshield, door glass, mirrors even glass headlights. Inside and out. You could thin with isopropanol for thinner application faster drying for easy removal. The layer beads water, keeps from fogging up and makes dirt, snow and ice easier to remove.

Ever get caught in the rain driving with the top off? Wet inside and out makes near impossible to see. With the wax it is better. Not perfect but better.

Regards,
JPNinPA

Never look down on anybody unless you're helping them up. -Jesse Jackson

Last edited:
Back