Making trim panels black again...

JOBO

Hi,
I'm so geeked about my new-to-me 2005 Wrangler TJ. I've only had it a few days and it already has new tires and rims.
The black vinyl/plastic body trim panels are sun-faded to a dark gray...and I would like to make them black again. I've read a bit about different products and my instinct is to use the ForeverBlack products. Do you like and recommend these products? Please and thank you.
OH WAIT...I just saw I can buy new sets of fender flares for around $150...should I do that?

newWheels.jpeg

Last edited:

In my opinion, that beach is going off road and gonna get scratched up. Gonna go down a river bed. Get in really tight spaces between two trees. Run it as is. :) Have fun.

But making it preety on the flares and helping what you have. There is a grease lubricant that is used in rubber O rings to prelong there life. I cannt remember the name. But it would make those fenders have new life

There are a few things to try. One is product. Someone did a video and compared the results over months. The winning product was Cherakote. This lasted the longest with minimal fade. Don’t know cost.

Second there heat treatment. This is a one time deal. You heat the plastic with a heat gun and the color comes back. It will fade over time and cannot be redone.
Third is paint. Plasti-coat paint that will flex with the plastic.
Finally replace.

Never look down on anyone unless you are helping them up - Jesse Jackson

GennyBro...thanks for your comments. You did remind me that my Wrangler is not supposed to be a perfect museum piece. I bought it to have fun with it. Thanks!
But making it preety on the flares and helping what you have. There is a grease lubricant that is used in rubber O rings to prelong there life. I cannt remember the name. But it would make those fenders have new life

JPNinPA: wow...I have more options than I thought. Very interesting and informative reply. Thank you.

There are a few things to try. One is product. Someone did a video and compared the results over months. The winning product was Cherakote. This lasted the longest with minimal fade. Don’t know cost.

Second there heat treatment. This is a one time deal. You heat the plastic with a heat gun and the color comes back. It will fade over time and cannot be redone.
Third is paint. Plasti-coat paint that will flex with the plastic.
Finally replace.

Never look down on anyone unless you are helping them up - Jesse Jackson

Back