Buying an older jeep vs a newer jeep

bermeced

Several of my buddies have jeeps. They are newer jeeps, from the mid nineties and up. I have always wanted a jeep, but I could never afford one of the newer models. I just bought an older jeep for a good price, a 1980 cj7. It doesn't look as nice as my buddies jeeps, but it is all that I could afford. I hope I don't embarass myself when I show it to them.[addsig]

Man, what are you talking about, you own a jeep!!! Be proud![addsig]

I own a brand new 2003 sport with just about every option, but I still like the older cj's better. Believe me it don't matter how old it is or how much you paid for it, you are still doing better than most people because you are driving a jeep.[addsig]

Good for you -- a 1980 cj7 -- no need to be embarrased. I have owned five jeeps, all 1983 and before -- and a couple had some real "character" -- and I would still pull up and park next to a new jeep -- never embarrassed. Speaking of buddies and newer/older jeeps -- I have a friend who owns a brand new jeep with all the toys, and I own a 1980 cj7. Now he is one of those guys who parks his jeep at an angle in the parking lot with alarm all set, etc -- god forbid if he gets a ding in it. Now me == 1980 cj7 -- painted with Walmart anodyzed bronze spray paint (97 cents a can), no doors, no top, no radio/cd, 35" tires -- and I park it every where and any where. And if I park next to his nice, shiney new jeep -- my old 1980 jeep is the one that gets all the attention. His jeep is a dime a dozen -- but a 1980 cj7 with "CHARACTER" -- well, that is a jeep not to be embarrasesed about. But, all kidding aside, your 1980 cj7 is a real jeep -- no need to be embarrassed about owning it. I hope you enjoy yours as much as I do mine.[addsig]

This is the first jeep i have ever bought, and i paid $1600 for it. It has a bikini top, and half canvas doors, and not much more. The frame seems pretty good, the body needs some work, and i have plain old wheels with 31" tires. It has fainted paint and a couple of rust holes above the rear tire area. But it runs real good. I can't wait to get it registed and show everyone. Pfz111, 97 cents walmart spray paint??? Did you really do that and how did it come out??[addsig]

I wish I had an brand new jeep, I have an 87 and respect the older ones the most. Way I see it the older the jeep the higher up the food chain. but there is nothing wrong with a shinny new TJ. tug[addsig]

Well Tug, you'll soon be trying one out on the trails....

Rob :p :cool: :) [addsig]

Bermeced -- believe it or not, the 97 cents Walmart paint job looks great. I have used this method on three jeeps, and each time it has cost me around $10.00. It really depends on your preference for the way you want your jeep to look. I prefer an older jeep -- 1986 and prior -- that has a rugged look, a jeep stripped to bare essentials -- no roof, no doors, no radio, etc. The only thing I do on all my jeeps is lift them for 35" tires -- just a preference and look I like. Granted, there is nothing wrong with restoring an older jeep to near mint condition -- indeed, usually a good investment -- but then you have all the worries with owning an expensive vehicle. Secondly, half the fun with an older jeep is "playing " around with it -- if I want to experiment with different colors, well hell, I just get out a can of spray paint and experiment, and if I dont like it -- just try another can. If i get a dent -- just slap some bondo on it. In short -- I like a jeep that needs no garage, no alarm system -- shine, rain, snow -- let it all come.[addsig]

Hey,dont be embarassed.When I bought my jeep it looked like crap.My paint was all worn and beat up,but I just compounded it and cleaned up the paint and poof my jeep looks like a million bucks!What color is your jeep???Where you from??? :wink: Sully[addsig]

An '80 CJ7 is really cool. That is what I want to find.
I would rather have an '80 than an '03, in my opinion.
[addsig]

I bought my jeep looking good and shiny, quiet exhaust, and not quite the strongest running machine.... now its dirty, scratched to heck, dented, chipping, and got a few rust holes, but running stronger.... Its better than it has ever been. A jeep fresh off the lot doesn't turn heads... A jeep with personality does[addsig]

Back