My "new" older jeep and my first problem

bermeced

This may sound stupid, but I just bought my first jeep, and I don't know what kind of engine it is. I have discovered that my fan is lose and that my radiator has very little water in it. Does anyone know what the problem could be. Is it difficult to get parts for a 1980 cj7?[addsig]

Well to start off I'd just like to say congradulations. The first jeep is always a special one, so is the second, third, forth.... You catch my drift, it's like an addiction. If your engine is a six cylinder, I'm gona have to say its a 258, stock 150hp and 240lb-ft of torque, if its a four cylinder its a classic "Iron Duke" 150 or 2.5 if ya perfer liters. which puts outs 82 ponies at 125lb-ft. Someone else might be able to field that question better since I have a YJ. As far as why your fan might be loose I'd check to see if all the bolts are tight holding it on. If so, it might be a broken seal on your water pump, this would cause the shaft to the fan to be loose and you'd also loose coolant from it, again wait for more opinions I could be wrong. Well, Hope ya find the problem, all I can say is after a while, fixing a jeep is something you'll master(jeeps like to give you LOTS of things to fix). Good luck,

Paul :-D [addsig]

was the radiator full before? maybe someone just didn't fill it all the way, or filled it when the engine block is not full, and when the thermo opened, it sucked it in... nothing bad.. or it could have evaporated out of the overflow over time.
if it IS the water pump... don't be worried... its REALLY easy to fix... take off the fan, the shroud, rip the pully off, and you'r there.
the fan is easy... there should be a few bolts holding it to the water pump... make sure they are all there and tight... probably a 1/2 inch wrench for that[addsig]

Yes, I agree, most likely a 258. And i agree, you probably need a new water pump. I just had to put one in my other jeep -- cj5. It is a pretty easy job -- you can pick one up at auto zone for under $20.00. And beware -- they will try to sell you everything else to go with it -- a clutch (you will not have one on your 1980 cj7, so forget that) -- a new fan (you probably won't need a new one, use the old one) -- gasket sealer (yes, get that, under $3.00) -- new belts ( yes, might as well replace them new while you have it all apart, less than $10.00). And a word of caution -- check the radiator, if it is old, it will have a tendency to crumble apart at the least bumbing into it (I have had to replace both radiators in both my jeeps (auto zone will not have this in stock, but can get you one, around $110.00 two years ago). You probably won't need a new one now -- just take your time and be careful when working on the water pump. In any case, have fun fixing your jeep -- and get used to doing it (ha, ha). As for availability of parts -- you should have no problem finding parts, all the basic parts you can find at an auto store. And there are tons of places to order jeep parts from.[addsig]

, I'm gona have to say its a 258, stock 150hp and 240lb-ft of torque

that is a little higher than the sources i have seen said... HP is somewhere around 110-115 and ft/lbs is about 215[addsig]

By George, I actually put the water pump in all by myself!!!! And all you guys are right, I haven't even registered my jeep yet and I am having a whole lot of fun just working on it. I experimented with painting my jeep. I tried the spay paint way. I tried it on my tailgate to see how it would look. I did it with rustoleum instaed of walmart spray paint. And I was suprised, it actually works and looks great. I think I will be going with teal and then a slight application of metallic. If my jeep looks as good as my tailgate does, it will look like a whole new jeep. I laughed when I first was told about spray painting my jeep, but it really works and looks great and it is cheap. And you guys were right, autozone said I have a 258. Well, going to get to spray painting.[addsig]

Back