Roof Top Tent (RTT) Questions

Randun

Hello everyone!

I'm thinking of getting a roof top tent, and I was wondering if anyone has any opinions on the different types of RTTs that are out there?

I have been doing my research and I see that there are soft tents, hard ABS/Fiberglass style tents, and I have also seen aluminum tents. Does anyone have any pros or cons of these different types of tents?

Thank you so much for your time and your help!

No opinion. I have to ask what drives you to a rooftop tent?
Ive camped since was 12 and roughed it in everything from a tarp to a popup or camper.
The last 2 man tent i purchased was less than $200 and sets up in 5 min.
My son loves his hammock tent that was ~$90 with rainfly.

I just curious on why a rooftop??

Never look down on anyone unless you are helping them up - Jesse Jackson

I have tent camped most of my entire life. When I was younger we tent camped as a family and then got an RV.

Now that I am enjoying my own program, I am looking to add a new tent that fits my needs.

I have done a lot of research on RTTs, and the pros seam to out way the cons to me. Personally, I like the ease of set up of some RTTs, I like being off the cold ground and being away from critters in the middle of the night, I like how the floor/mattress in a RTT is a lot more comfortable then the floor/earth in a ground tent, I like how I can store my bedding in a RTT, and this way I don't need extra room for all of my bedding in the car.

I'm confused on this reply. Is this your opinion on RTTs?

No opinion for me just curious why RTT.
I have no experience in RTT nor have I seen one up close.

My thoughts...if your jeep is lifted being so high up moving around will be exaggerated and cause the vehicle to sway.
The roof is harder than the ground and very flat. Might be uncomfortable.

Night time pee would be hazardous.
Emergency escape takes time - story -camping with scouts in heavy rain turned into near flash flood. We left gear for the am and retreated to hotel. There was a camp manager keeping track and warning. We left before they told us. Took 10 min of planning, loading and accounting for everyone.
Returned in the am to some tents in 4 in of water but everyone safe.
Some areas would have been swept away.

Lastly critters climb. It's a welcomed challenge for them. Esp if you have food.

Regards,
JPNinPA

Never look down on anybody unless you're helping them up. -Jesse Jackson

Last edited:
No opinion for me just curious why RTT.
I have no experience in RTT nor have I seen one up close.

My thoughts...if your jeep is lifted being so high up moving around will be exaggerated and cause the vehicle to sway.
The roof is harder than the ground and very flat. Might be uncomfortable.

Night time pee would be hazardous.
Emergency escape takes time - story -camping with scouts in heavy rain turned into near flash flood. We left gear for the am and retreated to hotel. There was a camp manager keeping track and warning. We left before they told us. Took 10 min of planning, loading and accounting for everyone.
Returned in the am to some tents in 4 in of water but everyone safe.
Some areas would have been swept away.

Lastly critters climb. It's a welcomed challenge for them. Esp if you have food.

Regards,
JPNinPA

Never look down on anybody unless you're helping them up. -Jesse Jackson

Thank you so much for your opinions. I really appreciate it!

Thank you for bringing up emergency situations too. This is one of the reasons why I am looking at a hard shell RTT. Set up and break down is less then two minutes.

Back