Ways to Keep Warm in Your RTT

Randun

When I have camped in a RTT in the winter, the temperature drops down below freezing, and I tend to get a little cold at night.

How do you guys keep you and your family warm in your RTTs when you camp in the cold?

I've heard of 12v Blankets, Mr Buddy Heaters, Diesel Heaters, but I don't want to spend money on something that doesn't work.

Thank you for your time and your help!

I would stay away from anything that could catch fire or burn someone. So no buddy, diesel or electric. No pocket warmers... they burn skin. A byproduct of burning is water. It will condenses in the cold and wet everything . In turn this makes you colder. If you don’t burn the tent and jeep before that.

Boy Scout methods:
Eat fatty foods before bed. No sugar or caffeine.
Never go to bed having to pee. It makes you cold and you will pee in the bed. Cut drinks 2 hrs before sleep. Sip ok but no more than 8 oz. brush your teeth if thirsty.
No NOT go to bed in wet clothes or sweaty.
Take a cold shower before. Even if it is a rubdown with snow. Dry off completely!
Wear a hat.
Socks
Silk is warmer.
Do not wear what you wore all day. No not wear tomorrows clothes
Do not over insulate to avoid sweating. In some cases less or naked is better.
Use a winter tent. Rainfly that extends to bottom of tent. But do not seal it up. The moisture from your breath will condense, wet everything and make you cold.

Closed cell 2 in pad under sleeping bag.

Use the buddy system. Hug a buddy. Or share the dog.

We camped a night or two in 10 deg -15 deg wind chill and lived to tell about it.

Never look down on anyone unless you are helping them up - Jesse Jackson

Last edited:
Make sure your tent is the right size for the group. The larger the tent, the more bodies it will take inside to warm it up.

Get good sleeping bags rated to the temperature you need. Don't go overboard and get one that's rated for way colder than you expect to be in (lower rating does not mean its a better bag).

Use a closed-cell mat under each sleeping bag. If you sleep on a cot up off the ground, you still need a pad underneath the bag.

Don't use a heater that combusts a fuel such as liquid or gaseous fuel...it is too dangerous for family use due to the potential for carbon monoxide poisoning.

Have clean and dry socks to change into before hitting the sack.

Keep a vent slightly open to let out moisture, otherwise, it will rain inside the tent from exhaled moisture.

Have a great trip. With some planning and basic equipment, winter camping can be fun and gets you away from the crowds.

Good points.
Sleeping bags:

A 30 deg sleeping bag and light summer bag/insert covers you from 20 deg F to 75 deg where you might sleep on the bag (not in).
Inserts are as cheap as $20 fleece. The wool or silk are warmer but cost more.
Do not use the blowup air mattress/pads for in cold whether. It will cool you and not hold your heat.

Mummy bags are not for everyone. I like the rectangle and my arms to be out. However the mummy bag covers you well. Be sure to check the size. Like clothes there are men’s and women’s sizes and extra ling or 2xl... then various deg bags.
Children’s theme/Disney bags are for basement/TV/living room camping. They do not provide proper insulation for cold weather camping.

You will note better winter bags have more than one layer of insulation. They are not sown through from outside to inside. And they have a Velcro flap over the zipper if it has a zipper at all. All of these things let cold air in.
Lastly take one big woolen blanket to cover everyone.

Those silver survival blankets that come in a little pouch do really reflect warmth back to your body.

Other:

Don’t pull your head inside the bag. Condensation of your breath wets the bag. A wet bag looses its thermal capability.

Keep wet stuff outside the tent.

Typically in the winter the cold air is much dryer and aids drying out wet things.
Boots and socks and old wet clothes hung outside to dry.
After a night sleep let the tent air out so moisture doesn’t build up.
Turn your bag inside out to air while eating breakfast.

Examples of bag sewing and zipper.the one with all the stitching is a $30 40 deg F bag and the other a $300 zero deg F bag. The black one you will note the stitching going in opposite directions inside vs the outside.

Image1607712055.808117.jpg
IMG_1970.JPG

Never look down on anyone unless you are helping them up - Jesse Jackson

Last edited:

Blankets and sweat shirt ,pants, layered clothing . It's not hard to figure out.Experiment, pick a cold night to go sleep outside.

Back