Keeping the tools on my boat / in the salt air free from rust.

TerryMason

Administrator
Staff member
Anyone have tips on how to keep tools rust free? I like to keep tools on my boat for when I inevitably break down, but it seems that after a season, they are just a hunk of rust. I keep them dry, but it doesn't seem to matter.

The set of wrenches I have are chrome plated, but that didn't help. Are there stainless steel wrenches, or some other tech that I'm not aware of?

Do you use them often or more of an emergency?

Emergency? Dip them in wax. Grease them.
Get a sealed container.

Just did my mower deck with turpentine and paraffin wax. Its a thin wax coating.

Never look down on anyone unless you are helping them up - Jesse Jackson

It's a cheap set of wrenches and a set of sockets. I think that's a great idea to just grease them. I don't use most of them more than once a year. I just need to get a new container where they won't rattle, but stay greasy.

I do however use a 13/16 deep-set socket, and a 9/16th open end wrench every time I go out (motor flush and drain plug). I see that amazon sells some stainless steel wrenches, but they are crazy expensive.

Plastic dip.

Image1622511199.154875.jpg
Image1622511330.449393.jpg

Or magnetic mount
Image1622514470.192834.jpg

Never look down on anyone unless you are helping them up - Jesse Jackson

Last edited:
Great ideas. I hadn't thought of it, but the old roll up was a vinyl / plastic combo that likely stored moisture. I poked around on amazon and ended up buying the below. I'll coat the tools with a bit of WD40 and give this a try.

Amazon.com

cacheJeepzImage.php

Before putting my tools in their new case I wanted to clean off the rust that had accumulated. I ended up trying electrolysis, which is really just attaching a battery charger negative to your tools and positive to some sacrificial steel. It worked out much better than I expected.

IMG_20210602_173654763.jpeg

IMG_20210602_174007481.jpeg

Sent from my moto g stylus using Jeepz.com mobile app

Last edited:
Back