Dash cams?

JaredHB

Sorry if this isn’t technically General chat rules but just want some input. There are a lot of crazy drivers where I live and want a Dash cam but my Jeep has soft upper doors so they can easily be unzipped from the outside or even slashed with a knife. I don’t want my camera to get stolen so I was wondering if there is anyone out there who has soft tops and uses dash cams and how you secure it or if anyone has found a camera that can be like bolted in somewhere. If I can’t find one I was just going to buy a GoPro and remove it every day when I’m done driving thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Jeepz.com mobile app

Cant comment other than only leave in a vehicle what you are willing to have stolen. If someone wants it bad enough they will take it. Soft top or not.

Maybe look for a quick mount you leave in place snd clamp to.

Never look down on anyone unless you are helping them up - Jesse Jackson

I use a go pro. It comes with multiple mounts I believe. I have one of the spares mounted to the right of my rear view mirror. It’s a simple bolt to unthread to mount the GoPro.

Image1622555991.942051.jpg

Image1622556008.562823.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Jeepz.com mobile app

Last edited by a moderator:

I've had a dash cam for years and it's mounted behind my rearview mirror and has never been stolen. I ran the wires around the windshield frame to help not draw attention to it. Also, I run over 6 months a year without doors and windows and have never had any issues.

It's 1080p, so pretty good. It's smaller because there is no screen to it. If you want to review footage, you can use the app on your phone - the software itself works, but is a bit clunky, so I just pop out the SD card and put it in my laptop.

You don't necessarily need to put it on the exterior. I place mine just at the back of my rear mirror. You could choose the one where you could turn it on even when the car is not just so it would still record while you are parking somewhere not safe.

My $150 dash cam comes on every time I start my jeep and turns off with the jeep. I have the option to have it record on motion (jeep is bumped), but I don't do that. I absolutely forget that I have it, and I bet if I had to manually turn it on I wouldn't remember. I'm pretty happy with it, and would recommend it.

My $150 dash cam comes on every time I start my jeep and turns off with the jeep. I have the option to have it record on motion (jeep is bumped), but I don't do that. I absolutely forget that I have it, and I bet if I had to manually turn it on I wouldn't remember. I'm pretty happy with it, and would recommend it.

does yours have the capibility of inside the cab as well ?

On the way to work this morning I came a couple of feet from broadsiding an F150 that pulled out of chick-fil-a right in front of me. From the look on his face it scared him as much as it did me. The noise from my mud tires skidding on the pavement is something you don't hear much anymore what with antilock brakes on everything now. :lol:

I wanted to show the wife what happened so when I got to work I connected to my Blackvue dash cam and nothing! There was plenty of video from yesterday but nothing on the drive in today. This has happened before and I've noticed sometimes it start recording mid drive when it should boot up with the car. I'll update the firmware and check the connections but I'm going to blame this post for me already shopping new dash cams!

I can imagine you explaining to the officer how "the dashcam didn't work this time - isn't that weird?" at the scene of the fender bender.

Dang!
Your camera liked you too.
Jealous thing quit on you when you needed it most.
Serves you right for looking at other cameras.

Never look down on anyone unless you are helping them up - Jesse Jackson

Last edited:

What brand is it?

Back