What should I get for my birthday?

TerryMason

Administrator
Staff member
I've survived another revolution around the sun, so my birthday is coming up again. My wife wants to know what to get me, but I'm at a loss.

Anyone have a suggestion? I'd be looking for something in the $100 to $200 range.
I've been thinking about new flat fenders for my TJ, but I haven't found ones that I really love.
I'm also welder curious, but I suspect that's out of my price range.

I remember my dad telling me "I don't want anything, and if I did I'd go buy it" I didn't get it then, but now that I'm older I think I understand.

Does she have an oh shit handle?
Comphy seat?
Jeep top
Image1654131151.821286.jpg

Never look down on anyone unless you are helping them up - Jesse Jackson

HF welders aren't great but it's not a bad deal if you don't know whether or not you want to do welding. I learned on a cheap HF stick welder [still learning]

Happy Birthday Terry!

if I boycott my birthdays will the numbers quit adding up :rolleyes:

HF welders aren't great but it's not a bad deal if you don't know whether or not you want to do welding. I learned on a cheap HF stick welder [still learning]

I had a walmart MIG welder about 15 years ago, but never could do anything with it (It would spit wire out in spurts). It may be a good idea to try and learn on a stick welder.

How about a nice knife from Buck, Case, or Anza? Case and Anza have some really purdy knives for yor beloved to choose from.

Don't jump into the "if I wanted something, I'd just go and buy it myself" routine as that deprives the spouse the ability to attempt to make you happy and/or do something nice for you.

How about a day out 4-wheeling some back roads and then a stop for a burger and a beer...that should fit the price range and not clutter the house! Maybe you can uo the game to a steak.

How about a day out 4-wheeling some back roads and then a stop for a burger and a beer...that should fit the price range and not clutter the house! Maybe you can uo the game to a steak.

This sounds like a pretty good idea. There's a local theme park that I love going to. Maybe we'll spend the day there.

I'm not sure that I'd look good in that shirt, but I'm willing to give it a try.

I'm actually looking for a present for myself that my wife can get me.

Don’t know how into the jeep your wife is. Sometimes something for her is the best thing for you.
Or as Jeepergeo noted something to do together.

I had a walmart MIG welder about 15 years ago, but never could do anything with it (It would spit wire out in spurts). It may be a good idea to try and learn on a stick welder.
I've never used a mig but have been told they are a lot easier to use than a stick welder. I bought my first stick welder [buzz box] from Harbor Freight and Salvage about 40 yrs ago for $75. I learned enough with it to warrant buying a 240 volt stick welder. I know a few diyers that have HF migs and seem to like them. HF dropped the salvage when they started to get their own line of tools.

mig, tig or stick welding, It's all about puddle control, a steady hand. Mig is much faster and easier. To tell if you have a good weld, you want to look at the edge of the weld to see if it penetrates the metal, it well be indented in the metal. Thats a hot weld, that's what you want. If you dont see that indentation, could be a cold weld where as the weld is just lieing on top of the material, no good. could get someone hurt or killed.

Getting back to Terry Get naked and wrap yourself up in saran wrap where wife can find you, The 3 dollars ya spent may get a priceless laugh. Then again she may have you commited, hmmmmm.

My brakes are squishy again, and I think it's time for another bleed.

what do you guys think of this brake bleed system for $72:

Amazon.com

cacheJeepzImage.php

I'd like the option to buy adapters for other vehicles, but overall it looks good
You hook it up to the master cylinder, fill it with clean fluid then pressurize everything. Open the bleeders one at a time, and it pushes the old fluid out.

Getting back to Terry Get naked and wrap yourself up in saran wrap where wife can find you, The 3 dollars ya spent may get a priceless laugh. Then again she may have you commited, hmmmmm.

I'll look around to see if I have any more of that christmas (red and green) saran wrap. That would really set things off.

Image1654819534.434549.jpg
I bought this from Amazon for $24 I think. Just got it this week so I haven’t had a chance to use it to say how well it works. The catch is pretty small but allows for 1 person to use and refill after every collect.

Sent from my iPhone using Jeepz.com mobile app

I bought this from Amazon for $24 I think. Just got it this week so I haven’t had a chance to use it to say how well it works. The catch is pretty small but allows for 1 person to use and refill after every collect.

Let me know how you like it. I think that kit is where you pull the fluid out at each wheel (instead of pushing from the master cylinder).
I had a plastic one of those at one time, but ended up braking it. The one you have looks better made though.

My son recently bought the Harbor Freight version of that bleeder - it didn't hold up too well, the pump was the weak link.

I bought a vac bleeder from HF, the grey one with many fittings. It Works well but you get air leaking through the bleeder valves threads.
So i only use them if I must. You need to cake grease around the threads. Two person bleeding is mainly how I do it.

I just did an 08 Liberty. Brakes had lots of travel and it felt like you were going to slam into the car in front of you. I changed all the fluid one of my kids helped and learned.
We stop nice now. Firm pedal.

If you don’t change all the fluid the issue comes back. Be sure your booster and vacuum is good and not leaking.
Siphon out all the fluid from the resivoir. Refill with new just unsealed brake fluid.
Start at back passenger brake. Bleed the brake until you get clean fluid. Not cleaner but clean. Don’t let resivoir go dry. If you are at 1/2 pad or less, crack the bleeder and compress the caliper letting the fluid out of the bleeder. Close bleeder reinstall caliper then bleed until you get clean fluid. Then move to the driver rear, then the Passenger front and lastly the driver front repeating the above. I go through a full pint bottle at least when bleeding. Top off and be sure the cap does not leak.

Brake fluid absorbs moisture from the air. The water lowers the boiling point of the fluid. Boiling fluid has bubbles. Bubbles compress more than fluid giving the spongy feeling.

Using a multimeter voltage measure you could test your fluid for water. Good fluid reads less then 0.30 mV.

Last edited:

I think I did pretty good! I got a cool solder station that will hold the parts you're working on while you soldier them together.

The brake bleeder works better than I expected. I was surprised to find that my brake fluid was very dark color however I hooked up the bleeder pumped up some pressure and purged each one of the bleeder valves. Plenty of air and old fluid came out and now the Jeep stops pretty well.

All in all a pretty good birthday.

IMG_20220623_151550503.jpeg

IMG_20220705_183801460_HDR.jpeg

IMG_20220623_151545688.jpeg

Sent from my moto g stylus using Jeepz.com mobile app

Back