Upgraded my lawnmower

TerryMason

Administrator
Staff member
I've been using this battery powered lawn mower that I got for free for years now. It got to the point where every year I would buy new lead acid batteries to go in it. I started shopping around for a new dewalt lawn mower that would use the same batteries as my drill and other tools but those lawn mowers were over $400. I decided to get an adapter and a 20 volt to 24 volt step up converter and modified my old lawn mower to use my existing DeWalt batteries. It turned out pretty good I believe.

I do have to keep my eye on it because it will run the battery down to zero but other than that it works great.

Overall I'm really happy with it.

IMG_20220611_171447413_HDR.jpeg

IMG_20220611_171453071_HDR.jpeg

IMG_20220611_171500429_HDR.jpeg

IMG_20220611_171505379_HDR.jpeg

Sent from my moto g stylus using Jeepz.com mobile app

Last edited:

That’s pretty cool. I have been considering a battery mower. But like you said, they are pretty pricey. It’s crazy that free one has lasted you that long.

Sent from my iPhone using Jeepz.com mobile app

That’s pretty cool. I have been considering a battery mower. But like you said, they are pretty pricey. It’s crazy that free one has lasted you that long.

I got it off the side of the road - the older batteries had died, so I replaced them. It took two 12 volt batteries that were pretty large - the rectangle shaped ones. Together the two batters were about the size of a standard car battery.

I probably could have run it straight off the 20volt Dewalt battery instead of the 24 volts it's designed for, but I wanted to learn a bit more about step up converters, as it's not something that I had worked with before.

Nice hack.

I ditched the last of my grass/lawn area about five years ago for water conservation reasons and because the only one on that lawn was me mowing it! I have not regretted that move yet.

I still have my Montgomery Wards (rebranded from McClain) mower that I used as a kid to mow the lawn. It's still 95% original parts!! I may pull the engine for a mini bike project and just scrap the rest.

Anyway, I'm sold on the battery yard tools. I have a 70 Volt Kobalt (Lowes) leaf blower and love it. Very quiet, no fuel to mix or exhaust to breathe, and has near-gas performance. I'm hoping to add a hedge trimmer that uses the same battery, though I see they now say 80 Volts on the trimmers....I hope the batteries are swappable.

I thought of getting an electric mower and weed eater that use the same batteries.
I did buy a battery leaf blower and its awesome. No more smelling like gas/oil mix

Never look down on anyone unless you are helping them up - Jesse Jackson

I'm hoping to add a hedge trimmer that uses the same battery, though I see they now say 80 Volts on the trimmers....I hope the batteries are swappable.

I've got this hedge trimmer:
https://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-DCHT820P1-Hedge-Trimmer/dp/B01BSURQ3O

And love it. It's only 20V, but chews through everything I throw at it. I couldn't imagine what an 80V trimmer would be like.

I also have a bunch of old 18V tools that I use the new 20V Dewalt batteries on. I just use battery adapters for them (the adapters are about $15 off amazon).

i don't because having plug in electric weed eaters, they like to only last a year or two and quit. the gas riding mower i have is from the 90s and it still keeps going. i think it would be nice not having to string out 150 foot of extension cord to get to the corners of the yard but i guess i will end up getting a gas weed eater too soon

I have a ryobi battery powered weed eater and I swear it’s just as strong as the gas ones. Lasts about 40 minutes on the charge. No way I’d use a corded one.

Sent from my iPhone using Jeepz.com mobile app

if they lasted long enough to do the whole yard, thats the problem. they are for normal size yards, or you buy more batteries. i only have one battery powered tool right now, a drill, so extra batteries is not something i want to buy. the drill runs out when i am doing fence work or anything requiring being outside a long time and i end up having to get out the corded drill so that probably doesn't help me think a weed eater would last, either.

i do think it would be nice to have a quiet lawnmower though. no more ear muffs for grass cutting would be cool

Have you guys seen the robot mowers? Someone has on by me and it runs back and forth across the yard and recharges when needed.

Have you guys seen the robot mowers? Someone has on by me and it runs back and forth across the yard and recharges when needed.

My yard is way to small for that, but my neighbor had one and it was pretty cool. He said there was an alarm that would notify him if it left his yard (stolen) and he could track it.

thats cool. i haven't seen one but they sure sound cool. robot tractor would be cool for big yards, ha ha ha.

if they are making it robotic though, they could make it gas powered too and do the whole yard and you just put gas in it when it sends you a message its down to its last quarter tank. that would be super cool. then i could get mine cut while sitting on the porch watching.

my rider has a two gallon tank and i get two times per tank so a gallon does the yard one time on this 24hp honda motor with 42" deck. i just need to get more shade trees so the stickers die off. i have two oaks and three ash trees which cover about 1/3 of the half acre

Sounds like a math problem.

I probably could have run it straight off the 20volt Dewalt battery instead of the 24 volts it's designed for, but I wanted to learn a bit more about step up converters, as it's not something that I had worked with before.
Nice mod to keep the lawn mower powered up with Dewalt batteries. On the topic of lithium batteries just want to share the direction I’m heading with battery adapters. My Ridgid batteries have LSA warranty for life-time replacement can now power up different brands power tools with inexpensive battery adapters.5CEA9A1B-35DC-4F00-97E5-89A7E321AF8A.jpeg

Back