PSA: Hand Rivet Nuts (smdh)

Jagered

First off, anyone who has dealt with these know they can be a pain in the ass. BUT... these after market fenders use them, I don't know... do stock ones?

I am in the process of finishing up with my metal fender strip/prime/paint project and NOT ONE SINGLE NUT WAS SET! None... neither on rear or front?!?! If you can see a gap and notice the knurling on the nut (pictured) then yours are not set either!

I am amazed... if it had not been for the previous owner putting a few screws/nuts in, probably because he lost or damaged the original rivet nuts, then these things could have potentially came off at any time?!

Be safe!

Cheers IMG_20220612_151220_01.jpeg20220612_151944.jpeg

Sent from my SM-S906U using Jeepz.com mobile app

Need wall anchors
Image1655067419.934036.jpg

Or spring clip backers

Image1655068103.786065.jpgImage1655068110.522340.jpg

Never look down on anyone unless you are helping them up - Jesse Jackson

Last edited:

Did you use a rivet nutset tool? Or the homemade device? I bought the tool when I put my fenders on and had no problems…well except getting a good hole drilled in the thin sheet metal.

Sent from my iPad using Jeepz.com mobile app

I originally thought they were set, they were not!
I ordered the tool for the front fenders as my homemade device seized up twice so I wasn't going to try it again.
The homemade thing worked well, just nothing to tell you it is actually 'set' so you can easily over tighten it.
Did you use a rivet nutset tool? Or the homemade device? I bought the tool when I put my fenders on and had no problems…well except getting a good hole drilled in the thin sheet metal.

Sent from my iPad using Jeepz.com mobile app

Sent from my SM-S906U using Jeepz.com mobile app

Back