New Jeep owner wonders if all Jeeps are very rusty underneath

NVDesertJeeper

Hello All, I'm a fairly new Jeep owner just about two years and with a 07' with only 80k miles under it, I'm wondering if all the rust underneath is common on Jeeps in general. I've read other sites and comments about it being a thing Jeeps do whether you go off road or not, I have gone but always drive through a wash afterwards. With all the rust underneath should I be concerned or do some kind of maintenance? The worst spots were on the factory rock rails i removed for some aftermarket ones those were almost rusted through on the ends. The rest of the underneath has a good amount of rust but not enough to be eating through anything yet.

I've only owned 2 jeeps, a 1990 XJ and my 2010 JK. The XJ had very little rust under it [except for the trailer hitch/receiver] but not so with my JK. I've already sanded and painted under it and need to do so again. For the most part the only offroading my jeep does is on my mountain driveway. IMO the rust stems from them trying to build the jeeps cheaper and cheaper.

Where you live makes a difference. NJ uses salt before during and after snow. Where TX doesn’t get snow to plow. At least not often.

If you treat it , sand convert the rust and POR.

Never look down on anyone unless you are helping them up - Jesse Jackson

Not snow often in south Texas but they still rust here, I live a half mile from the ocean and always have vehicles rusting out.

It sucks

Live in the high desert NV, not much moisture here lots of sand. I'll look into the treatment options. Thanks all

Live in the high desert NV, not much moisture here lots of sand. I'll look into the treatment options. Thanks all. I'll try to upload some pics but am having trouble with the file sizes.

My '02 TJ has almost zero rust. I doubt it has ever been driven on a beach or salted roads. I live in a pretty dry area with no snow, and any snow nearby is cleared and cinders are spread instead of salt.

Back