Should I trade in these Craftsman USA ratchets?

TerryMason

Administrator
Staff member
I've got two USA made Craftsman ratchets that no longer work. I've heard these are prized over the newer Craftsman ratchets. I'm torn between taking these to Lowe's and swapping them out for working ratchets ( likely non-usa) or buying a rebuild kit and trying to rebuild them on my own. From what I've seen even working they aren't worth a ton of money but it might be a fun project.

What do you guys think should I buy a rebuild kit or just swap them out at Lowe's?

IMG_20221107_171639235.jpeg

IMG_20221107_171625857.jpeg

Sent from my moto g stylus using Jeepz.com mobile app

Last edited:

If you do buy a rebuild kit, I question the integretey of the parts you well receive to rebuild them. I presume that they well be the same parts as in the newer ratchets of witch I'm not impressed with at all. The quality of there ratchets has gone to hell. I'm a fan of buying american made tools. If it was me and you can exchange them with no out of pocket cash,I'd go that route. I have been considering buying snap on ratchets to replace my craftsmen. I just hate the price, but for good tools I may end up doing it.

Pop thise circlips off snd see whats going on inside.

All of mine seem to just get gunked up. But i find a bunch of craftsman ratchets when bike riding around the dealerships. Its like people work on something and leave it in the engine bay and it falls out when someone test drives it

cool! A bro needs rachets. Possibility of a sale here.

40 ? yrs ago I had my Craftsman 1/2" ratchet die, took it to Sears and was a little surprised that they gave me a rebuild kit instead of a new ratchet. I have long forgotten what was involved in rebuilding it but that ratchet still works fine.

Id try rebuild if you could find parts that fit.
I redid a breaker bar and the parts are not as good as original but it works.

Never look down on anyone unless you are helping them up - Jesse Jackson

I would definitely try to rebuild them because I enjoy trying to fix things and seeing how they work. It would be easier to swap them for newer ones but more satisfying to try to fix them.

The 3/8 ratchet has the forward reverse selector broken off and the only repair kits I could find for it were twice the price of the same ratchet on eBay so I'll probably swap that one out at Lowe's

However the quarter inch ratchet was a different story it would just not ratchet well and it was difficult to switch between forward and reverse. I took it apart as you guys mentioned and couldn't really see a problem. I cleaned everything up put a couple of dabs of disc brake bearing grease, and buttoned it back up again.
It ratchets smooth and works as good as new now. I'll take that for a win.

IMG_20221110_173444295.jpeg

IMG_20221110_173524147.jpeg

IMG_20221110_173534573.jpeg

IMG_20221110_173630004_HDR.jpeg

IMG_20221110_173634145_HDR.jpeg

IMG_20221110_173642650_HDR.jpeg

So I went to Lowe's and swapped out my broken 3/8 and I must say it was super easy they didn't ask me for an ID or hassle me in any way. They told me to just go pick a new one out off the shelf. I don't know if this one is any good but it sure feels good in my hand it's got a slightly smaller head and a recessed button. Overall I'm very happy.

IMG_20221111_100900018.jpeg

IMG_20221111_114636866.jpeg

IMG_20221111_114649112.jpeg

I also didn't realize just how many of these old school Craftsman ratchets I have so it's kind of cool to have this new one to compare to.

.pending-1668790176-IMG_20221111_114709943~2.jpeg

Last edited:
If they were mine, I'd keep them and then see if I could find a rebuild kit.

Years ago, my rachet had an issue and the Sears tool clerk rebuilt it in the store making it as good as new. The clerk gave me an extra rebuild kit that I still have to this day and have not had a need to use. I'm holding onto it in case one of my rachets needs it.

Back