How (or do) you run a CB when offroading?

How (or do) you run a CB when offroading?

• I have a CB permanently mounted in my Jeep

Votes: 3 75.0%
  • I temporarily run a CB when offroading, or have a handheld

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • No CB here

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

TerryMason

Administrator
Staff member
My old CB was permanently mounted - it worked well, but got banged around a bit. I eventually replaced it because the cable "rotted" and the plastic fell apart. The antenna cable also has had a rough time because the antenna is mounted on my tailgate.

I'm thinking of just running the CB the two times a year I go offroad, and plugging it into my cigarette lighter. I'd probably run the antenna cable through the cabin and out the softtop when needed.

What are you guys doing - permanently mounting a CB, hooking it up temporarily, or just not running a CB at all?

Yes be prepared to replace the cable every few years. They are not really weather proof.
It is best run power wire from battery through a fuse to the radio. Ground the radio to bear metal close by. This ground does not need to go back to the battery.

Antenna & mount.
Are the trails were you off-road open with no overhanging trees or are there lots of overhanging trees?
This will help determine where and how long of an antenna you could run.

Regardless, the mount must be well grounded to bare metal. And the resistance between that bare metal point and the ground on the battery must be less than one ohm
Stay away from tailgate mounts. Bad ground in the tailgate hinge.
After mount and antenna connected dial in SWR to 1.0 anything over 2 is not transmitting and you will burn out the radio.

Never look down on anyone unless you are helping them up - Jesse Jackson

Last edited:
i hard mounted mine and the antenna was on an antenna mount that replaced the tail gate stop. i used a firestick antenna and tuned it with the swr and oddly, i could get about 8 miles of clear talk with it here in town. it let me talk to my son in his jeep when he would go to the beach with his friends, which was nice.

when i was in georgia, i couldn't get more than 2-3 miles with a cb unless i was up high and moved the antenna to use the window as a reflector for more signal. or maybe it was using the hood, who knows?

My main offroad and camping group are all Ham Radio operators, so we usually communicate on the 2M wavelength. I have a hard mounted 2M/440cm ham radio in the Jeep. It's a Yaesu FTM 400 that also provides GPS positioning and direction to point navigation, along with APRS that allows everyone in the group to see the relative position of others which is helpful if we string out over several miles.

I still have a Cobra CB hard mounted in the Jeep. It's the model that mounts behind the dash with all the controls on the hand mic. It has been problem free for 15 years. I use it occasionally in areas or trails where other Jeepers are lurking.

Out west, it seems like GMRS is replacing CB as the GO TO radio for folks that don't want to pursue a ham radio license.

Here's my current busted setup. All the cables have tears or have just disintegrated.

The CB itself was one of those all-in-one jobbers where you could just connect it when needed. I've liked it for number years but I definitely need an upgrade now.

IMG_20230413_174059708_HDR.jpeg

IMG_20230413_174110547.jpeg

IMG_20230413_174133850.jpeg

Sent from my moto g stylus using Jeepz.com mobile app

Out west, it seems like GMRS is replacing CB as the GO TO radio for folks that don't want to pursue a ham radio license.

I had never even heard of a GMRS radio. I'll have to check that out.

I have a boat that I use on the Chesapeake Bay, and it's all VHF out there.

Dude!!! No thats no good!!!
The antenna cable cannot be bent or coiled, pinched or frayed.
All of that leads to loss of signal and an opening for noise.

Short antennas are hard to tune.
Springs are often not deeded or are a point if failure. The signal travels up the strands in the middle and they corrode and break changing SWR or outright fail.

How far fo you want to talk?
0.5 mi or 3-5 miles?

Take a in focus pic of these two locations.
Is this s mount off of your brake light or spare tire??
If tire mount did you run s ground strap to the door or mounting bracket?
Image1681427654.714928.jpg

Never look down on anyone unless you are helping them up - Jesse Jackson

Last edited:

i just learned about that gmrs stuff today, too. i actually have google open to it right now

JeeperRon.
No CB here. I have an FT: 891 HF. 100w yaesu with combined 50watt vhf, uhf. One hood mount w/ 120 antennia and a 2 stick mount attachments behind my spare tire. When POTA (parks on the air) I can transfer my 891 to a backpack concept....hike into areas of interest and communicate..... Or I can just set-up a small camping table by my jeep and make the contacts.
I do keep a GMRS hand held for other possible communicators in the area. Hope this helps.....best of luck

Just curious, does anyone operate an HF ham radio? Assuming many of you are involved in or have participated in overland expeditions. I've entertained the possibility of installing a CB understanding many of the roaders still use CB. Not too familiar w/a GMARS? I understand the GMARS is more receptive. Your comments.......

I'm presently holding a general license in ham radio the call sign w4kwt. Thats whiskey4 kilo-whiskey-tango. If your a Gmars or CB radio operator what is your handle?

Just curious, does anyone operate an HF ham radio? Assuming many of you are involved or have participated in overland expeditions. I've entertained the possibility of installing a CB understanding many on the road
My main offroad and camping group are all Ham Radio operators, so we usually communicate on the 2M wavelength. I have a hard-mounted 2M/440cm ham radio in the Jeep. It's a Yaesu FTM 400 that also provides GPS positioning and direction-to-point navigation, along with APRS that allows everyone in the group to see the relative position of others which is helpful if we string out over several miles.

I still have a Cobra CB hard-mounted in the Jeep. It's the model that mounts behind the dash with all the controls on the hand mic. It has been problem-free for 15 years. I use it occasionally in areas or trails where other Jeepers are lurking.

Out west, it seems like GMRS is replacing CB as the GO-TO radio for folks who don't want to pursue a ham radio license.
Could not agree more with your setup and concept. Appreciate your response...

JeeperRon.
No CB here. I have an FT: 891 HF. 100w yaesu with combined 50watt vhf, uhf. One hood mount w/ 120 antennia and a 2 stick mount attachments behind my spare tire. When POTA (parks on the air) I can transfer my 891 to a backpack concept....hike into areas of interest and communicate..... Or I can just set-up a small camping table by my jeep and make the contacts.
I do keep a GMRS hand held for other possible communicators in the area. Hope this helps....

Soon to update my Ft 891HF. Contemplating the GMRS as an additional handheld possibility. Just not sure about the CB. Not an issue it would be a small investment. Question?
One jeeper I connected to in Arizona shared that when he goes on road expeditions in Moah...etc, he may carry additional antennas up to an eight' + antenna or taller (interconnect) in areas of poor reception due to emergency contact. Note: Arizona Rockey Road supply once carried optional radio accessories for serious jeep groups. I think whether you prefer POTA, overland expeditions or just traveling to meet with other jeep groups.....communication and safety are inseparable......if you're like me I enjoy nature and scenic sights. I find it essential to explore new places when possible. This is why communication dominates my thoughts, presently.
Thank you all for allowing me to connect with you, today. Hope to see you all soon on the trail jeepers.

The Jeep Jamboree requires GMRS - CB is not an option there, so I tend to think they know what they are doing.
I picked up a set myself and paid for the license (GMRS technically requires a license).

I ended up going with a handheld CB that can also mount to a full antenna. I like the GMRS radios better, but my friends like CBs, so I just go with that.

Makes sense....kinda leaning in the same direction. A radio Tool for Every Possibility. Not knowing the area of travel as to what radio may accommodate in communication.
Thanks for your insight, Terry.

Most of my group uses Ham Radio and I have one hard mounted in my Jeep. It'sa Yaesu FTM400DR, with the body under the seat and the head on the dash.

I also have a Cobra CB mounted under the dash but rarely use it. I view it mainly for emergencies....that said, I'd call out on 2 m Ham Radio before trying the CB.

Many of the offroaders out here are moving to GMRS radio. I will only go that route if the majority in my camping group go that way, and zi don't see that happening.

Just curious, does anyone operate an HF ham radio? Assuming many of you are involved or have participated in overland expeditions. I've entertained the possibility of installing a CB understanding many on the road

Could not agree more with your setup and concept. Appreciate your response...
Most of the guys in my group are deep into ham radio and get serious with HF once in camp...I don't recall them using HF much for vehicle-to-vehicle communication while in transit, though some of the guys may be doing some HF while on the road.

A couple use HF if I am not mistaken to send emails and photos via radio while on the trail....?Pactor? or something like that.

We use APRS too, especially as group members are traveling individually to our first rendevous point. APRS has proven helpful several times when folks get delayed or plan to catch up with the group later at camp.

Back