How to tell if a steering stabilizer is bad

TerryMason

Administrator
Staff member
I started to feel a bit of looseness in the steering, especially when hitting bumps. This has always been a precursor to death wobble, so I decided to replace the steering components (new tie rods and ends). I also bought a new steering stabilizer. The existing gear is all 4 years old.

When I took the steering stabilizer off, it feels just as firm as the new one. I can push both in and out, and they appear to take the same amount of pressure.

I'm debating returning the stabilizer and just running the old one. It's only $35, so not alot of money, but I also don't want to be wasteful.

What do you think, can you tell a steering stabilizer is bad just by moving it in and out with your hands?

Steering stabilizer is not really needed. It is there for to reduce shock in bump steer. When your drag link and track bar are not parallel and app the same length you get bump steer.

Id check sway bar bushings and shocks
Also alignment.
Inspect steering shaft and joints

Never look down on anyone unless you are helping them up - Jesse Jackson

Last edited:

I'm good now - I replaced the tie-rods and draglink, as well as the trackbar bushing (my deathwobble usually comes from the axle side trackbar bushing). I did the shocks about a year ago.
Got it aligned yesterday, and it feels like a new Jeep.

It's surprising how much slop can creep into the steering over the years, and start to feel normal.

It's surprising how much slop can creep into the steering over the years, and start to feel normal.

For sure, I drove a lot of rattle traps when I was younger and never thought much about the slop until I got behind the wheel of a newer vehicle. I have a 1978 F-100 4x4 that I don't drive a lot. If I drive it everyday the steering feels ok but if I don't use it for a month .... oh boy!

Back