1975 rebuild

profdialtone

A friend has given me a 75 CJ. Needs clutch and I have removed the old body. What Steps should I take to rebuild or restore? It has a plow for snow and I would use it around town.

edited by: profdialtone, Jul 01, 2003 - 12:29 PM[addsig]

Make sure the frame is clean and rust free. Surface rust can be sanded and painted, but if the rust is too bad, you might want to start with a new frame. If the body is decent keep it. Look for rust in all the usually Jeep places, infront of the doors, rear fenders, tailgate, etc. unless you want a new steel or fiberglass body. The drivetrain is your own personal preference. I've tried to keep mine fairly stock, with the except of a rebuilt 258 out of a Scrambler (My '75 came with the 232.) It's like any other car restoration. Hope that helps.[addsig]

the body was shot rusted all over the only salvage was the hood and grille. Have found the fenders but not the body. Have you got any place where I could go for a used body.[addsig]

I bought a beat down 88 wrangler for about the price you'll pay for a new tub. The tubs themselves are about interchangeable (cj7 that is). I was able to sell off the chassis, engine, trans, and a boatload of other parts, and keep the top, seats, and tub for my cj.[addsig]

Good luck I am working on a 75 cj5 myself
and it is slim pickings because they made an
early model 75 and a late 75 ...so it is slim pickings
but good luck ........... :-D [addsig]

Back