Mechanical Knowledge

mgaron

I am new to the jeep scene and i was just wondering how yall got all of your knowledge on jeeps. I want to eventually be able to modify my jeep by myself but right now i am lacking knowledge. Anyway what is the best way to start getting information and building skills in modifying jeeps(ie lifting, troubleshooting problems and any other repairs a jeep owner might run into. Thanks and by the way im new to the scene so if i am doing anything wrong please help me out.[addsig]

You're ready and willing, so you're on the right track. Just soak up as much gee-whiz info as possible when it comes to Jeeps, and be able to recall it :lol: Get to know local jeepers, and organize them if they don't yet get together. 'round here, we get together for wrenching parties when it comes time to lift a Jeep or work on something else. This way everybody learns, and it's great for socializing and comraderie.

I just taught myself, taking apart everything I could get my hands on and learning how it works. Also learned a lot just by watching others.

Support groups are good, like here at jeepz.com, and remember, if you're not sure, ask before you buy or disassemble.[addsig]

Just do what I do. If someone asks if you can do something, always say yes. It can't be that hard. Thats how I've learned almost everything I know from replacing U joints to bondo work. Most trail trouble shooting comes from experience. It used to take my 4 hours to get out of some of the bigger mud bogs in the area, but know I know what works and I'm out in 10 minutes. Learn by doing. Just try not to break anything. :lol: [addsig]

With us... any member here can tackle anything on a jeep... its not hard... few bumped knuckles and some grease on the hands, and rust in the eys... that's about the worst part[addsig]

Take your time do alot of hands on and research ...Then just
take small bites at a time... If you have any questions along
the way just ask....... :-D [addsig]

Take it one step at a time. The internet is your friend when it comes to the Jeep. Take every question and get multible answers and apply the most logical parts of each answer add a dash of the b/s and then attempt the best of the lot combind with prayer and put a rabits foot in your pocket and bang you got it.

If it sounds crazy and unlikely then you are on the right track with Jeep mods. Some of the things I have managed to do and make work boggled my mind. I am not a wrench nor plan to ever be one. How ever I am a Jeeper and you best be able to at least keep yours going if you plan to get off the pavement.

I have learned it is not rocket science but just good ol horse sence that keep you going. So read all the post on jeepz and look for the ones with a happy ending and follow that advice. Good luck Welcome to Jeepz and Jeep to the beat. Tug[addsig]

Thanks for all the help i think ill be contacting the local wheeling club around here to start getting to know people before i get my new jeep. Thanks Agian[addsig]

just remember, we are here with answers to just about any question you can toss out[addsig]

try gettin a good jeep manual too (such as a haynes repair manual). it will help with troubleshooting and keep you from screwing a repair job up too bad if you decide to do it on your own. [addsig]

I find that when it comes to fixing anything, it's mostly common sense. Just figure out what you want to do, research a little, ask trusted sources about what you don't know, and get to work.

This board is full of well knowledged peple, from the every day oil change, to flush mounted tail lights, to complete rebuilds ( including the pro's to welding your lockers,something I hadn't even considered until I saw the post here). wether you agree with all that is posted is not important, but it is a great place to gather info.

I'm very greatfull for EVERYONE on this board, you have all become an important part of my life, and owning a Jeep would not be the same without you.

Rob :p :cool: :) [addsig]

Back