Rusted hitch

ZBTstang

My 98 Jeep came with a trailer hitch already in place. Although I dont know why or how anyone can tow with a 4 banger so I decided to attempt to remove the hitch. I worked off the pin that took forever cause that wouldnt move due to rust...than with all that out I couldnt get the hitch to budge, not even a wiggle...I think its rusted in and theres no way to get any WD-40 in there....help

Need help with my XJ couple of issues: Squeak Noise & Ga

can you get to the back side of the hitch tube with a hammer and punch?
if not, try some pb blaster and build a makeshift slide hammer to bump the hitch out.
if all else fails, you could chain it to a tree and drive off. :mrgreen:

Before you try to drive off and rip the sucka off, Try a come-along or a buddy with a winch. if that fails, drive away. Just a warning before you do this though, and I don't know how relevant this is but the wifes father has a 98 Ram sport and he got a dealer installed tow package and they bolted the hitch up, then welded it to the frame at a couple ot critical points, so make sure yours is not welded!

Johnny

Best Locker?

I never thought of it being welded in, I dont think it would have a pin in it though if it were welded....and if worse comes to worse I can just unbolt the whole towing package, but I would like to just put in a cap or something.
and trust me, if a rubber mallet and some wd-40 dont worry soon, a chain and tree it is

Some dealers do weird things on our cars. I would not be surprised at all if it was welded on like they said earlier.-Al

soak the hell out of it with pb blaster.. then if you have a torch, heat the outer box tube... while its still hot.. hit it in then try pulling it out... it might be enough to free it up.. if not, put the pin back in and forget about it....

you're liable to do more damage using the tree than you think, but if you do try that, please use a tree trunk protector...

A torch near the gas tank ....Hummmmmmmmmmmmmm I don't think I would go with that one but that is Just my $.02

Leave it on there! Those hitches help keep the frame straight when you have all of the weight from the jeep on one wheel. They are great for adding strength to the frame. Unless you really need it off of there I would say leave it.

jhiggins said:
A torch near the gas tank ....Hummmmmmmmmmmmmm I don't think I would go with that one but that is Just my $.02

not really an issue.. you'e not heating the part by the tank.. you're heting the end where the hitch goes in....

graewulf, the part doesn't matter but what cause a problem is the fumes ....That is where you get explosions.....But I see where you are coming from ..I just want him to be careful

Sounds like your going through hell to get that thing off, if its not bothing you just leave it on. Like sound man said its strenghtening your frame and helping keep it straigt.

Back