Bought Me A New Jeep

Jeeper89

Well everyone I got a new jeep...its an 88 Cherokee Larado,loaded, auto, black, and have had it for one day and i love it, now comes the questions, how hard is it to change the theromostat? i have never done it before and the Hynes manual makes it sound really easy but i dont want to change it thinking it will be easy and it being hard, and what series flowmaster should i get, i want a nice rumble, not to loud but loud enought that people can hear me comming. last but not lest SOUNDMAN if you read this post what 4.5" life do u have on ur cherokee i talked to u about it earler and where did you get it from? sorry for all of the questions and thanks for the help in advance

Hey,congrats on the jeep purchase.Sorry,but I dont know much about xj's.Good luck with it.

Replacement Floor

The thermostat is really easy to replace on the 6-cylinders. Just remove the 2 bolts and put in a new thermostat and gasket. Be sure you get one that looks exactly like the old one, or you could run into problems :mrgreen:

-Nick :!:

What ? Its a day old and you havnt posted a whole picture album yet ?

LoL, the thermostat is the first thing i took out on my jeep, it was the easiest thing i have done yet too. The only thing holding it in is 2 bolts, make sure to replace the gasket if its worn out.

sorry no pics yet i dont have a digital camera and i am too broke right now to buy a camera and get the pics delevloped, its still likes to run warm after replacing the theromostat, it dosent over heat but it stays about 1/2 way between the 210 and the line right before the red part, and if i get stuck at a red light or drive really slow it creeps up really slow, so tommrow i am going to check my collant, and flush the radiator and i have heard of air in your collant system causing it to over heat, what is the easist way to get air out of the system in an XJ?

o yea i got a 195*, 54MM thermostat and it looks like the one i took out and i put it in the right way too, so its not backwards or anything like that, and if anyone has any suggestions let me know

1989 Wrangler Islander 4.2L LIKE NEW!!!

Easiest way is to run until thermostat is open. I would then loosen the temp sensor on the top of the engine, (drivers side near the firewall.) until coolant pours out. fill it. drive a mile or two. bleed it again. then fill again. ,ake sure you reconnect the wire to the sensor, or your guage won't work.

Also check the coolant bottle for cracks and signs of leaks as they are prone to breaking. Would also consider replacing the cap too.

The best thing to do on a cherokee is to remove the upper radiator hose and pour as much coolant as possible straight into the radiator. Then you just use the reservoir to top-off the system. Be sure you run the heater while doing this or the core becomes one big air pocket :mrgreen:

-Nick :!:

XJNick is right on the money with how to fill it!

My lift is a hybrid of parts.

Front
3" BDS Springs 1.5" Daystar spacers JKS quick discos terraflex upper and lower control arms and a terraflex trackbar. The shocks are BDS.

Back
3" Old man Emu springs they have a built in shim (never get add a leafs) 1.5" greasable shackles. Shocks are BDS.

I have 32" super swamper TSL's on it and had to cut the wheelwells to make it all fit. To make it look good and get the tires under the fenders (and stay legal) I got the Bushwacker cut-out flares.

Some people may not like the BDS stuff, I do. Reason is that it is inexpensive and here where I am that stuff gets broken. It is not going to kill me to replace those parts when I break them.

I have replaced almost the entire cooling system in mine. I am putting in a 3 core radiator this evening if Fed-Ex gets it here. I replaced all of the hoses, thermostat, heater control, water pump, and the temp sensor. I blew a heater hose on the trail due to a stuck thermostat. The only part that I have not changed is the heater core. I will do that before winter gets here.

Like XJNick said, pull that top hose and fill it as much as you can, fill the bottle, put it back together and let it run till the thermostat opens do this with the heater on.

Then I do this... I put it nose down on a very steep hill (this makes the bottle the highest point in the system) While it is on the hill runnung with the thermostat open (wear gloves or this will burn) squeeze that top hose a bunch of times with both hands. this will help force the air out of the system. Shut it off and let it cool down on the hill. The air all winds up getting into the top section of the cooling system. Refill the bottle as needed. watch it over the next couple of days and run the heater when you can to keep coolant flowing through there.

Back