Need some advice!

Roundeye

As some of you may know, I'm selling a 1971 VW Westfalia camper bus. I have recieved 2 very serious offers from 2 different people who responded to 2 different ads on 2 different message boards. The wierd thing is, both people want to send me a check for THOUSANDS more than the selling price. They say that the money is in the hands of the shipping agency and was from an earlier deal that did not go through. The remainder of the money is to be sent back to them by certified check.

Now, this sounds wierd to me. I've sold around 50 to 60 cars in my day (really) and I've always dealt with local people face-to-face. This is the first time I've tried to sell a vehicle over the internet, so I'm a little leary.

If I get the check, cash it and the required funds are in my account, then I send a check for the remaining amount back to the buyer, what is there to worry about? It just sounds wierd to me that some stranger would trust someone he/she has never met to send back thousands of dollars and trust that I won't say "but we agreed on the full amount of the check" and keep it.

If everything is on the up-and-up, I will certainly send back the required funds as I have no intention of screwing anyone. But, thats a huge leap of faith on their part.

Keeping in mind that these people are serious collectors (with serious cash)......should I be wary?

Thanks
R

Can U say SHADY???
sounds like a good way to hide (launder) money, but who knows!

:idea: OR... a good way to get you to cash a fraudulent or stolen check.

I'd tell them if tey really want the car to pay by cash, western union, or hell, maybe even paypal, but that sounds like a scam of sorts to me, and it's a little too coincidental that more than one person is in that predicament. Call your local friendly law enforcement and ask them if this sounds legit or like a familiar scam.

More along the lines of you shipping the car sending them a check then cashing their check that bounces. WOW they have a new Ride some Extra cash and you are out ALL of it. they loose 30 bucks.

SCAM.... DONT DO IT!!! this has been discussed on another board, you cash the check, send car and money, them the check acually does not clear, and u lose money and car

Keeping in mind that these people are serious collectors (with serious cash)......should I be wary?

If that's the case, they would have no problem paying by method of your choice while they get their own money back from the "shipping agency"

old adage:
"If it seems to good to be true, then it probably is!"

I should have added what I intend to do to the original post: There is NO WAY that I would send the $$ back out of MY OWN cash AND release the vehicle. What I plan to do is release the vehicle ONLY AFTER THE CHECK CLEARS and is turned into cash in my paw. Then get the remaining balance for the extra money to be sent back from that same money.

It still sounds odd.

know what's sad... there are people who would fall for this... and there are many who HAVE fallen for it.... its sad how sick some people can be to prey off the honest sellers

OK there is a good chance the money from them to the shipping agency is the check that will bounce. You get a check from the shipping agency. Might be good. They get the car and the cash. You get sued by shipping agency. Do they want to do it in a HURRY . If the shipping agency is big they cant watch every check. The scam might have been getting the shipping agency to take the check in the first place, and you will get sucked in as part of the scam.

Need some info...

I don't know anyone stupit enough to over pay on a car then hope the other person will send it back. It has to be a scam. Tell them cash or get lost!!!!!!!

Thanks for the input, guys. These 2 offers have been refused by me. Ads have been updated to prevent any more such offers. :evil:

good move... its really good to have people like we have here to give the heads up on stuff like this

roundeye - a common saying in the car business is "show me the money"
look for the money. these offers sound like crap to me.

Back