Anyone fab their own OS tire carrier / bumper?

Joopin

Super Moderator
Spring packs...

I'm gonna be fabbin one up myself but the only thing I am not sure how to do is the hinge where the carrier attaches to the bumper. Is this something you buy and weld on? Thoughts???

i'm sure it could be done with 2 sized pipes, one inside the other

There are some online fabrication places that sell everything you need to make a bumper/carrier. Anybody know of some, I didn't save them? I'd order at least the bushing for the pivot, and the latch.

Idea!

You can take a two bearings and press them into the pipe and then run a piece of solid stock through the bearings. Just make sure you put in some zerts for greasing. If you want, email me and tell me exactly what your planning on doing and I can see if I can help you. I just finished my front and rear bumpers, the paint is drying now. I have a body mount spare now on my 72 CJ5 and I am planning on putting it on the bumper to releive some of the pressure on the body.
Let me know if I can help.
Warrior

Thanks guys, the bearing idea is a good one. I was thinking of doing the small pipe inside a long one, but I don't think it would last that long. I may just take you up on that offer warrior, Thanks!

Oh yeah! Joopin.... just an idea, but you can use rollerblade bearings in the pipe, too. ABEC 3's would work. I'm working on Rob's (as mentioned) and using actuator arms off a hood kit. Just an idea.

GR93

Sweet idea Reaper... so you unlatch it and the tire swing opens by itself?? I may have to use you idea... 8)

I am accually in the process of doing this! I am using a trailer spindle that is rated at 2000lb's that I got from Slee offroad, which specializes in early 90's FJ's. Only about $80 compared to the $180 that rockcrawler.com wants for the same thing!

As for a latching mechanism, The best bang for the buck I found was a "carr lane" toggle latch that I got off there web site. I opted for the stainless model. very beefy unit.

As for a way to mount the tire, I went to my local pick and pull yard, and got a broken raer axle from a 80? XJ. Just cut off the portion that the tire mounts to, and welded that to the verticle portion of the rack. I would love to post pics of it, but it is not done. I started to do the final welding and I ran out of gas, been lazy and have not got more :oops:

Johnny

Since I don't have a tailgate, I made a nice neat job of just welding mine to the home made bumper.

image-missing.png

I have two models, Joopin'. One swings out, another swings down. I thought of the idea watching Monster Garage (I know... I read the last post with 'Monster Garage', but I simply refined it :)

Shreveport/Bosier City LA

Althougth I havn't put the tirecarrier together yet, I scrounged the hinge off of an old satilite dish mount. It has a heavy, greasable hinge. All I have to do now is cut it back a bit, then put my tire carrier on it.

I got tired of scratching the crap out of my arms reaching behind the seat, so I cut out the back and welded a tale gate. It's not the prettist thing, but it works.

I take some pics and try to post them. In any case, there a bunch of old satilite dishes around that no one uses any more. Most would just be happy to have you take it out of their yard.

As for the rear bumper, I cut off the rear cross member (I bent the crap out of it anyway tring to pull out misquites - hurt my neck too) and welded 3 inch square stock for the bumber so it would be haevy enough for a tire carrier.

Back