another new jeep project from DC

88WRANGRED

found this on another BB wanted to share it.

http://www.toledoblade.com/apps/pbc...0&Kategori=BUSINESS02&Lopenr=109300100&Ref=AR

‘Stretch’ Jeep plans revealed by Chrysler
Toledo Assembly in line for $70 million investment

By JULIE M. McKINNON
BLADE BUSINESS WRITER

DaimlerChrysler AG, in its first official word of its plans, has revealed that it expects to invest $70 million to build "stretch" versions of the Jeep Wrangler at Toledo Jeep Assembly.

A recent application for job-training assistance from the Ohio Department of Development, said the proposed project is to include $26.3 million for building improvements and equipment at the plant and $2 million for training and the vehicle’s launch.

The project is not expected to add jobs at the 4,200-employee Toledo Jeep.

The Blade first reported more than a year ago that Chrysler was studying making Wranglers with a wheelbase longer than the current 93.4 inches and reminiscent of the Jeep Scrambler made from the mid-1970s to mid-1980s.

The vehicle would be made in two versions - one with a back seat and another with a pickup bed - that could be sold to consumers and the military starting next summer, officials from United Auto Workers Local 12 at Toledo Jeep and Jeep car dealers have been told.

A Chrysler spokesman yesterday maintained the automaker’s silence about the project, offering neither a denial nor a confirmation about plans for a stretch Wrangler.

Spokesman Mary Beth Halprin said Chrysler doesn’t comment about future manufacturing strategies or products for competitive reasons.

Officials of Local 12 could not be reached for comment yesterday.

Chrysler is awaiting approval for a $300,000 training grant, which it will have to match, through the Ohio Investment in Training Program. The grant’s application does not specify where the rest of the planned $70 million, or $41.7 million, for the stretch Wrangler project will be invested.

Training was to have started in July and was to end Dec. 31, 2005, and involve 1,925 employees, according to the application. The application requests $125,000 for the 2004 fiscal year and $175,000 for the 2005 fiscal year.

Yeah I've heard about those LWB TJs and they are on the way. My dealer and I where talking about them when I bought the KJ and he said they are a coming. Oh and here is a pic of one

image-missing.png

hmm thanks for the pic, though now that i see it, maybe we were better off without it :lol:

I actually kinda like it. I've always been a fan of the CJ-8s. A convertable pick-up is a sweet ride if you ask me :)

I would have to agree with K-Phat. I am more of a fan of the Scrambler but this new Wrangler is interesting. I think where they went wrong with this one is the placement of the rollbar (if there is one) and the back window on the hard top (it's too big) compared to the Scrambler.

Here is a picture of Greywolf's Scrambler and you can compare notes.
image-missing.png

I don't think I would like the Division of the front and rear. Then again, I will never go over 94" wheelbase again. I like being able to roll quietly over the mound they put up infront of trails :)

Back