Oil Change

ZBTstang

Im going to attempt to change my oil for the first time by myself. I know I know, dont start. Ive never been very mechanically inclined, so this is a big step. Any tricks I should know about changing the oil on my 2.5L 4 banger. Im also wondering if the drain plug is the one under the filter right in front of the transmission. (I dont have the manual or any chiltions book and I dont want to start loseing things without knowing). I know to just pop the drain plug, let it drain out, add about 4 quarts, turn the ignition till the electric comes on and see if the oil light comes on, if it does add more and keep checking the dip stick. Hows this sound?

Winterizing

You need to look for the oil pan, it's mounted to the bottom of the engine and the part you will see has a smooth surface with a bolt most likley on the end or a corner, that is the drain plug. Drain all your oil out, take the old filter off, get the new filter and use your finger to put some oil on the new filters rubber gasket ( the whole thing). Put on the new filter, screw the oil drain plug back in. and add the new oil. I don't know what the capacity is for the 4 banger but I'm sure you can look it up on the web if you dont' have a manual for the jeep. good luck

springs

Be sure to not overtighten the oil filter. It's like 1/2 or 3/4 of a turn after the gasket hits the engine.

Oil capacity is 4 quarts, put that in and start the engine. The oil pressure light should go off after a second or two, or the guage should rise if you have one.

Don't forget to put the drain plug back in. I remember many years ago when I changed the oil on my 1st car. I forgot until I went to start it and there was oil running from under the car. That was a pain to clean up. Lucky for me I did not start it yet.

Success! Did it all no problem. Thanks guys. Was just a littel worried since ive never even had an owners manual. Only real problem I had was when I pulled the drain plug it squirted alot farther than I thought it would have and I spilled oil all over my driveway at first. I had to move the pan to catch most of it but there was still a line coming straight down, so it made a mess. Next Time I guess I just have too hold the pan right underneath for a minute or so..... it was nothing some kittly litter couldnt fix. Now im about to drive across the state...lets hope the engine doesnt go boom!

remember for the next time... make sure the oil fill cap is off first as well... that prevents the glug glug effect of the air trying to go into the drain hole... also makes sure it drains quickly... when you change your oil, it is also a good time to put in any additives you might be considering... I suggest Seafoam... I get it at the local napa for about $6 per bottle... the stuff is amazing... i suggest you buy a bottle and read the directions on the many ways to use it

ZBTstang said:
Success! Only real problem I had was when I pulled the drain plug it squirted alot farther than I thought it would have and I spilled oil all over my driveway at first. I had to move the pan to catch most of it but there was still a line coming straight down, so it made a mess. Next Time I guess I just have too hold the pan right underneath for a minute or so..... it was nothing some kittly litter couldnt fix.quote]

Don't feel bad, I still do that every once in a while!

Back