Plow?

pinaplebob

I'm thinking of getting a plow for my XJ. Due to the fact that my friend (who owns a 1 truck plow service just signed a huge plwoing contract) anyway, does anyone here have a plow for their jeep? If so what's a good cheap light plow? I was thinking of going with a winterwolf, which is the cheapest plow i've seen. Does anyone have a plow laying around that will fit a cherokee?

Thanks a lot

Anyone ever cracked their roll bar?

I know somebody here has a plow on their jeep but I can't remember who. If you don't get a response, try posting it in the CJ, YJ, TJ section, thats where I've read posts on it.

I saw one on Ebay that was pretty good (used). I don't remember the brand or details because I live in South Texas and I have only seen snow ONCE!!, but you may want to look there.-Al

yj reasonable price

thank you tug my man....

yeah i run a plow on my yj... works great.. i can do the small stuff that the big dogs can't think of doing... $15 for a small residential driveway is done by driving in, dropping down, and backing out... easy money... the commercial stuff takes a little longer for me than others... but i'm no looking to get rich.. i'm just trying to pay bills... i have a meyer... not sure on the exact model.. i believe they have 2 models... my pump is the larger of the models... the 6.5 foot plow doesn't cover much area... but it certainly keeps the bills paid, gas in the tank, and food on the table in the winter

I believe fischer makes a plow fo XJ's I know they make them for the commanche and The two share the same front frame clip? New they are fetching anywhere from $1200-up
Good luck and don't forget my driveway!

Well, the plow i'm thinking of getting is called a winterwolf. IT is not a hydraulic plow. IT's got a small electric winch that lifts and lowers the blade. As far as turning i have to turn it my self. Although I haven't seen it for under $1000.00. The only good thing about it is that it is light.

you might want to look into and consider further into something that DOES turn itself.... that is a very important operation in plowing.. the direction of the snow is crutial... you can't just always push straight... in fact... the only time i push straight is while packing, backdragging, or starting a lot from the middle

Yeah i thought about that. It's just the money thing. I really haven't found much that turns for around a $1000.00 And besides that for this plow account we have I am just plowing out driveways into the street. And my budy will take care of the rest. so it's a weird situation. yeah i know it will get annoying.......that's why i'm looking for a used blow. I've found two cj's with plows around here that have been sitting for a while. I think if i could get either of them running for under $1000.00 i would be in good shape. but i dono

Isn't the XJ of unibody construction?

I'd have some concerns with mounting a plow to something that doesn't have a frame under it.

I work for the road department and I'm basing my opinion on what we run into during snow plowing operations. It may be fine for your applications working in parking lots and such.

more tire questions

It is a unit body but if your just doing a couple of drive ways and not some commercial property, should not be too much of a issue. Just don't drive full steam into a snow drift, probably have to skim the snow for lots of accumulations.

i have a 2" lift on the jeep.. i just simply use two links further down the chain

I have a Meyer snow plow on my TJ also. It is 6.5' wide. The dealership told me I had to have them install a set of air shocks on the front of my Jeep so I wouldent void the warrenty. It definatly can make much sharper turns than the guys with the full size p/u.
Pinaple, I hope u didnt get one of those cheap ones. I heard they dont hold up well AT ALL!!
Dennis

rather than air shocks, i have rubber stops between my frame and axle... they allow 1" of suspension travel when the plow is not on... and are resting on the axle when it is on... they basically act as my suspension when the plow is lifted, and take the pressure off my springs

Snitty, doesnt that make for a really really ruff ride? It sounds like it to me. Those rubber stops dont fill with air or anything, like an air bag?
My shocks are kinda nifty, I air them up to 100 psi when I put the plow on and air them back down to 40 psi when I take it off, and that way the Jeep always sits level.
You guys have some snow over there in NY? Since I bought my TJ in '02, we havent gotten much here in Mi. Feel like I bought this plow for nothing. LOL
Dennis

no... it is a hollow rubber stop with very tough walls... it has good cushioning properties... and.. when i'm plowing, i'm not looking for a luxury ride.. i'm looking to make money

Well after much looking around i ended up going with a cheap plow. Yeah i know that it doesnt turn on it's own, but it does the job. I found a couple of people out here that have owned them and swear by them. I ended up finding one on sale and i bought it. I installed it on New Years eve and two days later we go 3 inches of snow. I did 12 differnt places 5 parking lots and the rest drive ways, and it worked perfectly. I figured out how to plow with leaving the plow turned one way and not getting out at all. My only complaint with the plow is that it bouces kinda bad when it is up going down the road. But for spended $900 on it and making $400 in one snow fall I think i can live with the bouncing. Thanks for your help guys next time i have it on i will take a pic. and post if up here. On a side note, when I have the plow on, I have two winches on the front of my jeep. A two thousand pound mile marker, and a eight thousand pound ramsey. I thought that was neat.

Thanks
pinaplebob

I put a plow on my bosses truck last weekend. It was a meyer, pretty crappy, the brackets that mount to the frame, there is a left and right, well they sent two rights and no left :-( Also the problem is his truck is a 88 chevy 4x4 with the 4.3 V6 and the front is ony rated at 3100 gvw, the plow calls for at least 3500, so we ordered a set of torsion bars from chevy that were designed for the 2500. put them in and we had to turn them all the way down cause they lifted the front about 3 inches. rides nice though. sorry a little off topic.

venting

Back