Winter, Safety and Old Cell Phones

An approach of winter ritual that I go through each year is to checkout and prepare for winter the three cars owned by my wife and daughters. An emergency item that I ensure is packed into each car is an old cell phone, with a cigarette lighter power cord.

While completing the aforementioned "winter" ritual yesterday, the thought occurred that perhaps not everyone is aware that even "unserviced" cell phones will connect to 9-1-1 and can be used to request roadside emergency police assistance?

Cell phones are regulated by the FCC. The FCC requirements state that ALL cell phones, regardless of the status of service (or even the lack of service,) shall be able to dial 9-1-1. Whether you have a telephone number or not, whether you have signed up or contracted for service. The cell phone can connect to 9-1-1.

I suspect that my family is not unique in that over the years we have amassed a collection of old and unserviced cell phones. If you are like us, and have old cell phones, you might consider using them to provide emergency-only communications for your loved ones.

The above assumes, of course, that a 9-1-1 emergency center is active in your area.

The cigarette lighter power cord ensures that the phone will operate after sitting unused and un-recharged for months in the dark recesses of a car trunk.

This is likely old news to most of you, but I thought I would cast this out on the chance that someone might not be aware of this use of an old cell phone.

Your "Safety-First," pocket-protector, with full load of colored marker pens, outfitted,

Gadget

Good post, I gave my old cell phone to my little brother for just that reason. Never know when an old phone may be needed.

Gadget you come up with some of the best points. Even though I knew this in the recesses of my cluttered dank dark mind I never gave it the though it deserved. Thanks for the insight kind sir! tug

It's funny, but I did know that, and still I have 2 old cell phones sitting in a drawer. I think I'll give one to my mother-in-law. Wait a minute, maybe I shouldn... nah, I'll give it to her. :wink:

Thanks for the heads-up there Gadget! You are full of information (except your age :wink: )

even though i was already aware... i do thank you out of respect for our safety... it was a great idea to post, not only for winter, but for all occasions... I make sure most of my elderlies have at least an old cell phone to contact emergency services in case of an accident... I do believe I have some laying around the house as well.. if there is anyone here that may need one, now knowing this information, let me know... i can probably scrounge a few up

Just an FYI guys too. My old Fraternity up at School (thats where my name comes from), I started a philantrophy drive up there with this same idea. Everyone buys a new cell phone about once a year or every two years, cause face it, its a racket, cell phone arnt made to last any longer.... Well what you can do with your old phones also is this: Verizon stores collect old phones and program them for the same 911 only purpose...but they give them to the womens shelters of the local area and give them to the battered women to use for an emergency. So if youve got a few old phones lying around you dont use, throw one in the jeep when wheeling, and give the others to verizon for this, its a damn good cause.

Back