lincoln locker

Snitty

FINALLY ORDERED MY LIFT

BBJ has decided to let me talk him into welding his rear diff... we are going at it tonight... we're gonna leave the carrier in the case to do it, quick job... we have a biiiiig offroad event to do on sunday. we gathered all of the big shots from around town to come show off and have fun. BBJ WILL be breaking parts on that day, looking for what needs to be upgraded.

Bounty, anyone, whoever has some advice on the locker, any secrets of the ones who have trail tested it... please do tell

Tell BBJ best of luck you as well. Let me know what you think of the l locker when you have had it out there on the trail. Later tug

i have hear that when linclon locking a rear end it is stronger if you weild both the gears together as well as weild them to the side of the carrier.
good luck on the run. ( try not too break anything crucial.lol.)

He'll love it and probably never go back to anything else.

Be sure to use a 220v mig if possible, filling in each pocket where the spider gears mesh. Don't leave any holes, use lots of metal. I wouldn't bother welding the spiders to the carrier, they are differing metals and you want to be able to drop the welded spiders out of the carrier as a set if need be.

Clean inside the diff really good with brake cleaner, then blow out with compressed air. Run a cold chisel across the ring gear to scrape any weld boogers off. They're soft and will dissentegrate if left in there.

I wish I would have taken pics when we did my D35 and D30. Can't beat the traction and not having to worry about being locked or unlocked.

If BBJ is running a YJ why not weld the front too? It'll disengage in 2wd, and even 4wd if a manual vacuum switch is intalled.

Good luck, let us know how it goes.

well.. here's the report... after work today, i headed over to his house... didn't get a chance to come read the replies here, thanks by the way... we did just what bounty said, 220 mig filling all holes... we used very high heat and high spool speed so the metal gobbed in there nicely...

TRAIL TEST-
we had to jump the jeep because he seemed to run out of gas and killed the battery cranking it... i went and got some cables and gas to get it going.. still no go... sprayed in some starting fluid and away she went, but ran like poop. we didn't get a chance to see how it would do in 2wd because he could not get enough power to run it in high range offroad. but, that shows something good about the locker, if it was open, it would have spun and ran, but not gone anywhere. about a half mile in the trails, it died and would not start again... so... it sits there now, and will sit there overnight... i don't have the traction to pull him out of there, we'll get the 4runner down there tomorrow.

about the front end... as soon as he goes to a manual disconnect, he will be locking the front as well

we are going on our big trip on sunday at 11am... and i quote joe (bbj's owner) "if that thing knows what's good for it, it will not start by sunday"

Off-Roading between Christmas & New Years

Looking forward to the story and some pics from the outing this week end. I plan to get out there a bit myself. tug

Back