sudden engine loss.... in a plane

far_right

i am goin to school to be a pilot and get a degee in aviation, and have been flying for a few months now.
thurs afternoon i had just started my flight and had completed one traffic pattern (one takeoff and landing), and and taken off a second time climbing out real nice and then just about as i was to turn left-cross wind my engine started shaking, and vibrating REAL bad, i mean BAD, so we checked the mags and the carb heat to see if the plugs had messed up or had gotten some carb ice, but nothing happend, we pulled the throttle back to idle to kept form being shaken to death. we then had to turn 180* and do an emergeny landing from about 500 AGL, on the opposite runway from which we had taken off... it was real exciting... :mrgreen: but i hope it doesnt happen again anytime soon. when we got on the ground we found out that BOTH plugs in one cyl. had grounded out at the same time :shock:

Makes a Jeep Problem seem like "well not to awful bad after all" hun! Man that is so freaky and just not at all fun! tug

Well if you think about it, problems in planes are probably goin to happen to every pilot some time or another, and you could think of it as getting it over with early in your flying career haha.

i agree there... its a good thing you are learning how to deal with them first hand before you get comfortable and trust them when... you are learning the respect of failure.. and it does happen

Well far_right I have been a C-130 Pilot for 11 years now and Have experienced Numerous engine failures. Each one is llike the first so don't let it scare you from completeing your dream of flight. I know mine hasn't!

jeepngeo said:
Well far_right I have been a C-130 Pilot for 11 years now and Have experienced Numerous engine failures. Each one is llike the first so don't let it scare you from completeing your dream of flight. I know mine hasn't!

Cool Sir. Thanks for flying for us. The C 130 is the greatest Plane I have ever flown on. Made many trips as a grunt in Alaska. Experenced a couple of hair raiseing trips in them myself. The Spook Gun Ships are one of the scaryest things in the air. Where are you stationed? tug

Glad you made it back safely. Years ago after I just got my license, I took up a friend of mine (who had never been flying) in a rented Cessna 152. I had departed the pattern and contacted approach control for flight following when smoke started POURING from behind the instrument panel!

( My worst fear is an in-flight fire. You would be burned alive on the way down!)

So I instantly hit the master switch and popped the windows to evacuate the smoke. I then headed back and landed immediately without further incident. The problem was traced to the comm. radio. It is AMAZING how much smoke can come out of those things when they go Tango Uniform. Had I known what it was, I would have yanked it and tossed it out the window :twisted:

Had I known what it was, I would have yanked it and tossed it out the window

haha, i think i would have wanted to make it do more than smoke after i figured out it was the radio

Each one is llike the first so don't let it scare you from completeing your dream of flight. I know mine hasn't!

i didnt hurt my drive any. after we got pointed in the direction of the run way it was a pretty fun ride down

:D Well Tug, Thanks for asking! I am a Coast Guard Herc pilot stationed at the old McClellan AFB (currently McClellan Air Park after the base closure - Thanks Bill C). My first time here (92 - 96) I made many a deployment up to AK doing fisheries patrol - protecting our fish stocks from foreign overfishing. The weather up there can be quite scarey at times. In fact out on Shemya Island (I think the second to last Island on the Aleutian Chain) the wind sock is a hunk of wood on a chain! :shock: Easily 50 knot crosswinds. Anyway that's for another site. I love what I do and I can retire in a bit over 5 years! :p More time for the Jeep!

Back