Remote starters possible on a standard?

ZBTstang

Ive been dying to get a remote car starter for my jeep, unfortunatly (for this purpose) its a standard. Do they make remote car starters that work on standard shift? I just hate the idea of having to run out in the cold start it up, run back in and wait...and im usually running late and dont have time to start the jeep before work, so this would help. let me know if you know anything

i beleive you can take the clutch bypass fuse out, so thr clutch doesnt have to be in. but make sure you dont leave it in gear :shock:

Performance Cam Install. Should I?

Yes, it's possible. I've wired two of them into vehicles in the past and as long as you don't have to have your clutch in to start the vehicle, then it's no problem. There's ways of bypassing the clutch if you need to. Just make sure it isn't in gear when you start it. Mabye you can rig something up that won't allow it to start if it's in gear.

Hi,

I'd have to agree with Tug. Why would you want to risk it? What if you leave the Jeep in gear and you or someone else accidently remotely starts it? :shock: I've always disliked seeing remote starters on automatics, and a manual transmission is just asking for trouble. IMHO, convenience should never be more important than safety when dealing with an automobile.

If you end up doing this though, you can wire a relay in the circuit which is triggered by the reverse gear switch (back-up light switch), and be able to PREVENT the Jeep from remote starting while in reverse gear. You'd obviously have to always leave it parked in Reverse gear for this to be of any help. I do believe the Jeep owner's manual recommends parking in reverse gear anyways, although I tend to park in 1st gear. :mrgreen:

-Nick :!:

Cold starts

Tug-n-pull said:
One word? Why! tug
I've had them in other vehicles I've owned because when I have to get up for work at 5 in the morning and the windows are all frozen, it saves a lot of time. I park it with the heater cranked full blast on defrost so I would start it 10 or 15 minutes before I leave and when I come out, there's no scraping of the windows and it's warm. If you go up into northern BC it's kind of funny when you go to a bar and see almost every truck in the parking lot sitting there running with no one in them. Everyone just lets them run. Since there's no key in the ignition you can't really steal it when it's running. As soon as you put it in gear, it shuts off if the key isn't in the ignition.

I had a remote start on an explorer. It was on it when I bought it. It was really nice, but on a manual it could be deadly. Accidents happen, but doing an auto start on a manual is asking for one. All companies that make them put disclaimers on them saying not to use on a manual. If you do it, you will be liable if someone or something gets hurt - rightfully so! Do the right thing and run out and start it yourself, go back in the house till it's warm.

You have to Add a 20amp fuse to the #20 spot in your Fuse box (On TJs) they added this feature after they added the Clutch relay. Mainly because you REALLY don't want to hit the clutch while on a Rock face. you would HAVE to remember to keep it out of gear and the E-Brake on. Other than the Leap forward if in gear I don't see why you couldn't. Pretty Dangerous though.

i have a friend who had one installed.... he had someone else drive it one time, and left it in gear... he accidentally hit the start button.... forward it went, about 50 yards, and down into a pit... thank goodness for the comealong

I was thinking about getting one for christmas, but they really go 50 yards if you try and start it while in gear?!

With a fuel injected motor I would imagine that it would start and go until it hit something. This mod on a manual would put alot of trust on your e-brake.........not something I would do. 8)

I find it hard to believe the car would go 50 yards when started in gear. My buddy has a remote start in his manual Stratus R/T and I have seen first hand what happens when you remote start the car in gear. It jumps and stalls. Just like someone learning to drive who doesnt know how to use the clutch yet. The car didnt move 2 inches. It just kinda jumped in place. If you have to leave your jeep in gear due to the parking situation, just dont use the remote start. But I assume your driveway is somewhat flat. My experience is that a remote start in a manual is completely safe.

BostonJeep said:
I was thinking about getting one for christmas, but they really go 50 yards if you try and start it while in gear?!

If it starts in gear and tere is no one there to stop it or kill it it will go till it hits something and stalls out or till it dies on its own. Think it is cold the choke sets there for the revs are up it is in gear and away she goes. The wheel is locked so it is going to travle in the path the wheel is set in. what if a child is setting in the path it will take? This is just not a good idea. It's a Jeep go start it if you want to drive it. tug :roll:

you would have to be holding that start button for a good 2-3miniutes in order to go 50 yards!! and most older jeeps will not start in gear..they will just turn over. try starting your jeep in gear sometime( while you are in the jeep) and you will know what i mean. :lol:

Hello ZBT,

Perhaps a compromise solution...

I too am dubious about the safety aspects of installing a remote starter in a manual transmission vehicle, but as a second-best solution, you could try installing an AC powered heavy-duty block heater.

Put the block heater on a timer and set the timer to turn-on the block heater an hour or so before you typically leave for work.

Regards,

Gadget

Go for it dude! It is a great idea! You need it and or want it so just do it. But please think it thru first.

It will not start with the clutch out unless you bypass the safty switch! ok Now if you install the remote to start it you have to remove the said safty to even start it in nutral. Now it will start with the clutch out. Right? This is the only way it is going to work unless you can find away to make it only start in nutral. Am I makeing sence so far? Now after you bypass the safty go out and hit the starter and see if it takes very long for it to travle 50 yards. Cause it is going to fire up and travle on if it is in gear and will start with a remote and the safty has been bypassed. I am not being smart just trying to get you to see it is a bad idea or the manufacture would be saleing them and none not one does offer it on a manual transmission. tug :roll:

I still dont understand how people believe the jeep will run a distance with the gear engaged. I have been there and seen it with my eyes. The car just kinda jumped and stalled out. Dont you need manuever the clutch to get the gear to engage and drive??? what am I missing here?

I am sure the reason the dealerships dont sell or install remote start on manuals is because the cars do jump if started while the gear is engaged. If you park close enough to a wall or another car I guess it could jump into that car or wall. But I dont think we will see the car on
"auto driver" heading down the parking lot.

Hi judge09,

I honestly don't know if a Jeep engine would actually start and power the vehicle down the street as some sort of "Robo-Jeep." But, from a personnel safety perspective, the engine starting question is irrelevant. The Jeep would not have to start to become a hazard to life and limb.

Judge09, please consider the implications of this scenario: If a Jeep were left in 1st-gear or reverse gear, the Jeep could travel some distance with the starter motor acting as the engine. Given the tremendous gear reductions involved -- and you cannot trust a SWB Jeep parking brake, especially if the Jeep were left in reverse gear -- you have a slow, yet powerful and potential rogue elephant Jeep on your hands.

When the remote starter unit on my wife's Honda Civic is activated, the starter motor will crank the engine for something like 8 to 10 seconds while waiting to receive the "engine started" signal. If that "engine started" signal is not received, the remote starting process shuts-down.

Imagine that or an equivalent remote starter activated in a Jeep which was left in gear. During that 8 to 10-second cranking cycle, a starter motor powered Jeep could travel for some distance.

Bad mojo! :cry:

A bit far-fetched? To be sure, but that is the kind of "worst-case" thinking required to PREVENT accidents.

Regards,

Gadget

I have seen one on a Mazda Miata that came into the dealership on trade. It had no remote so the guy detailing it did not know it had a remote starter. The starter malfunctioned and started. Weel after it flatened his cabinent and left some good skid marks were it was spinning against the wall it was finally shut off. Yes they will start in gear and keep going. if you do not belive then jump in an older vehicle without a clutch safty switch and scank it. I have done it with a messed up clutch so I could move my scout. It will start.

Second it is not safe to leave your vehicle in neutral with only the E-brake on. Drum brakes are not designed to stop very well going backwords. I can almost push my Jeep backwords with the E-brake on. You can do it if you want but it is an accident waiting to happen. Just think of that one time when you forget and leave it in gear, or someone else is messing with your remote when you left it in gear. It is not worth it.

Sorry for the ramble my friend almost got ran over by the miata luckely he was talking to someone else when it happened. Just my 2 cents

Back