airbag ever go off while wheeling???

johnny7point0

I was doing some wheeling in the snow this weekend and drove into some snowbanks pretty hard. Everytime I approached a snowbank, I was expecting the air bag to open but it never did (thankfully).

Has anyone ever had the airbag go off while wheeling???

And, is there anyway to disengage the airbag? I've heard more bad stories than good about airbags...plus, the steering wheel just looks plain ugly with an airbag. Id like to replace the steering wheel someday with something a little more aesthetically pleasing.

keep the bags in for insurance reasons... if you're concerned about them going off while wheeling, i'm pretty sure there are fuses you can pull. i've never done it tho.

help check engine light!

As far as I have heard it is a switch usually under the dash or in center consol not the bumper. I think it is supposed to take a pretty good lick before they go off. They alo won't go off under a certain speed. I may be wrong but that is how I was told they worked when I worked at a stealership.

I've hit trees with the front bumper of my TJ (on purpose) and I also ran into the back of a truck (not on purpose) and it didn't go off, I don't know if that's a good or bad thing.

the switch on a TJ is on the trans tunnel on the floor up by the firewall it takes a pretty good hard hit to send the trigger in the unit to fire the airbags but you can allways pull the fuse out if your worried about it

Yeah, air bag computers only deploy them if you are going a minimum of (correct me if I'm wrong) 25 or 30 mph and only if you get hit from the front or back. I think anyways. Anyways, just dump the yuppie TJ ( :) j/k) and get a YJ or CJ and wear your seatbelt. haha

To my knowledge there is no certain speed to trigger the airbag. Its actually triggered by how fast the vehicle slows down after an impact. Sensors are usually on the core support or the inner fender areas and can only go off on a front end collision. However, if they do go off and you own the Jeep then let the insurance co pay for the bag, sensor, computer, clockspring and seatbelt (mandatory) - usually ends up being around 700.00 to 1k and then use it for a mod. L:ets just say I know an adjuster...hehehe.... :wink:

yea beach is rite, the air bag is triggered by the rate of change, or decell the quicker the deceleration the more likly the airbag will deploy thats why you dont get poped in the face when u run down stuff in the woods or hit giant snow piles...

I don't think all vehicle's air bags are deployed the same way. I know some vehicles have sensors in the front and rear bumpers. If the bumper is pushed into a certain point, it will trigger the airbag. For vehicles that have the bumpers with the triggers in them, when purchasing an aftermarket bumper some companies such as ARB have airbag compatible bumpers.

Airbag, what's that :twisted:

Seriously, leave it alone, it will be fine. It won't go off on the trail under normal wheelin conditions. If you hit something hard enough that it goes off, you likely needed it.

most airbags are motion activated.. takes i think 14mph of deceleration in a cerrtain time period to trigger them.. i haven't seen any (maybe some early ones) that are triggered by a hard switch to the bumper... and if you can manage to trigger them while offroad, you are doing something WAY wrong.. airbags will save your life in some impacts. leave them there and operational.

Back