New to welding

TerryMason

Administrator
Staff member

OK, I've never welded anything before.... Now that I have that off my chest, I need to weld a new rear crossmember onto my frame while I have the tub off. I'd also like to weld on some new body mounts.

I've been given a very old 220 volt stick arc welder that I can try to use, but I've thought of just going to walmart and picking up a new little wire feed welder, similar to this I think they are under $200.

Keep in mind that I have no knowledge of welding. My understanding of a stick welder is that I clamp the pieces I want welded in place, then attach one of the welders clamps to the frame, then use the other clamp to hold a stick of welding stuff (I don't even know the real name) and touch that stick to the part where my new crossmember and frame meet.

I've heard that the wire feed welders are just "point and shoot".

I probably wont use any welder more than a handfull of times, and I think there is a good learning curve to the stick welder.

What do you guys think? Anyone know of a good "how to" website that I can check out?

Terry[addsig]

The first one I learned to use was a wire fed. I love it. I tried stick welding; it's ok, but still like the wire fed much better. AND, don't forget the FACE MASK. Unless you like the feeling of having sand in your eyes. That's what having burnt eyeballs feels like. I know. Been there, done that.[addsig]

Terry,

I would suggest that you do not use a stick welder for any welding on a Jeep. Stick welders are good if you're into amateur bridge building, but not for automotive applications.

Get a good quality wire fed MIG welder and you can't go wrong. The $200 buzz box welders are not nearly as good as the more expensive units and your weld quality *will* suffer. Since you're into Jeeps, that means plenty of future welding, so I would suggest you buy something that you can grow into.

You can get a good gas-shielded MIG welder with stitch and spot modes for around $600. Shop around a bit, you'll be surprised what you can get.

As for "point and shoot", it's not really that easy. You'll need to buy some scrap steel and practice a lot before attempting any real welds, especially a structural weld like a rear crossmember. You need to learn how to "dial in" the heat and wire speed settings, etc

You can find books on basic MIG welding and some welders will even come with a video as well as the eye shield, etc. If you need any help just let me know.[addsig]

Well, I need to get this knocked out this weekend, so I picked up the cheapo box, to see if it works. If I don't like it I'll just take it back I guess.

Now the problem is how to get that rear crossmember off!

Thanks for the suggestions guys.

Terry[addsig]

Cut-off wheel on a grinder or....... torch it.
image-missing.png
[addsig]

2nd the grinder..

the previous owner of my new/used CJ frame did that...

This weekend I finally begin the tear down of my CJ,and my friend has a MIG..[addsig]

I've almost got the crossmember off, and will finish up this weekend (wheather permitting).

I started with a cutting wheel, then beat it back with a BFH, and then discovered that my air hammer could cut the stuff fairly nicely (first real use I've ever had for the thing).

[addsig]

I agree with the cutting wheel. I had to remove my skid plate off my old frame, and my tanks were empty. So I just decided to cut em away. Worked great. I cut up my old frame with the cutting wheel as well, as well, u bolts etc. Made the job alot easier. [addsig]

Back