Parts Jeep???

TwistedCU

There's this YJ sitting in the parking lot at my work. It's been there for 4 months and we think it was either abandoned or left there after being stolen. Anybody know how I can find out who owns it or who is responsible for it? There's like 7 YJ &TJ owners at my work location and were thinking parts Jeep! We want to but it but not sure how to go about it legally. We're afraid if we just call a complaint in the DC Gov't will just tow it. Any thoughts?

You'd have to have a cop get the owners name, any coworkers know one?

To get it without the legal owner, cops have to tow it and it sits at the impound yard until a certain amount of time passes. Then the last registered owner is sent a certified letter, given time to claim said vehicle and pay storage ($$$$), then it goes to the tow yard as payment and they apply for a salvage title.

That's in our state, and most are similar. Not a quick process.

I have a old friend that is a state Trooper, but it's been a real long time since I talked to him and I'd feel kind of akward asking a favor at this point. I was thinking about trying to run the VIN somewhere but I have no clue where to do that.

speaking of partts jeeps.... i saw one yesterday, no lights, no windows, flat tires, and some body damage sitting in someone's front yard..... revolver shackles on it... so somebody knows something... there may be some other goodies... didn't have a sale sign on it... but i'm still going to ask about it

Couldnt hurt to ask! I got a hardtop for FREE because I asked about it lying upside-down in the guys front yard for a month after a wind storm. It needed a rear window and some black paint, but it was WELL worth it. He told me to PLEASE get it out of his front yard, and that I would be doing him a favor. WAH-HOO! I dont mind doing anybody a favor like that!
Dennis

dude just strip that thing little by little. alternator goes bad? there you go just trade :lol: . if anything goes bad on your jeep do a little swap, then if he comes for it someday his jeep will still be in one piece. then he will think that sitting so long caused the parts to go out. :wink:

jeep90 said:
dude just strip that thing little by little. alternator goes bad? there you go just trade :lol: . if anything goes bad on your jeep do a little swap, then if he comes for it someday his jeep will still be in one piece. then he will think that sitting so long caused the parts to go out. :wink:

I have to admit it was tempting to do a radiator swap!!! I came to my senses and bought one. This thing might be somebodies baby. Ya never know what the story could be. I've got tomorrow off and I'm taking the tag# and VIN to the MVA (DMV). Aparrently for $2 they will give me the owner's info (Thanks Gadget!).

I used to work at a dealership. We had what we called the lump lot. That is were we stuck the crappy cars we didn't want to fix. I was incharge of these cars. When a Old came in that I didn't have keys to there was no supprise. The salesman always forgot to give them to me. I broke into the care pulled the info and looked through it. It had a bunch of stuff like a nice CB and other stuff. We decided to check with the service department before scavaging the good stuff. Well the next day when I went out It was gone. Found out a truck driver stashed it there while he was on a haul. The moral of the story is. You never no so don't go to jail over a few parts.

i dont think a jeep owner would abandon their jeep anywhere, even if they were gone for a while. they would hire a babysitter. :lol: unless they hid it DEEP in the woods somewhere :twisted:

It turns out it is an employee's Jeep :cry: that works at another building. I'm trying to get a note to him to see if he wants to sell it cheap. I was joking about the radiator swap. I wouldn't do that to anybody's vehicle, Jeep or not!

my buddy rolled his rubi

did u see the 1993 jeep yj for parts in the pennysaver like 2 weeks ago for 100 bucks I must have called like 30 times before I got a hold of them and it had already sold I was pissed because u could sell that sucker piece by piece on ebay and make a killing

No I missed it. Yeah, lots of $$$ in Jeep parts, especially on eBay! I bought a "cab top" (kind of like a bestop halftop but it uses your factory hardware) online for under $150. Ran it on the YJ for about 2 weeks, then decided to get something else. I put it on eBay with lots of pix and a good description, started it off for a buck with a but it now of $150. 2 guys got into a bidding war and it sold for $350!!!

I was so tempted to buy another and try it again but I quit while I was ahead.

Back