Problem need help

MerkL

Just bought my first Jeep, 94 YJ 4.0 Has a 3.5" Superlift and 2" body. It feels very very loose in steering. Wondering what possible problems could be. Steering box? Tie rods?

my steering is so loose its not even funny....i would say steering gear box if anything...they are a pretty good size of money so...if u feel like dropping a grand for a new one and install i would leave it...

I've never priced one out but I'm sure if you look at a wrecker you can find one for a lot cheaper than a grand.

May want to take it to a front end shop and have them perform an alignment. They might be able to diagnose the problem while doing it. Just a thought, probably needs one anyway.

And Oh, congrats on your Jeep purchase. Your gonna love it. Probably too much like most of us here.

Thanks for the help guys. I've had it about four or five days, and I love it. I used to drive an F-150 and it was a b*tch to park, but I loved being above other people. This solves both the problems and is tons more fun. Think I'm going to the junkyard this weekend and see what goodies I can find. Many more questions about other upgrades, but I'll ask when I get the $$ for 'em.

Welcome to the board! I would check/replace the tie rod ends before the steering box. After that maybe try a steering box brace, they are cheap enough!

also check the joint in the steering knuckle in the shaft

congrats on the jeep purchase. youve now got the bug..lol. as for your steering the jeep sterring shafts u-joints are notorious for wearing out before there time. check those frist. a buddy of mine had his steering shaft snap when he was doing highway speeds..needless to say he was in the ditich( thank god) and came out of it ok but very shakened.

new borgouson shaft with new u-joints is pretty cheap.

You can get a new stearing box (might be rebuilt) for under $200. I can't remember if that was checker or autozone. Also remember bigger tires makes stearing feal looser.

Items need to make the switch.

This can be caused by a lot of things:
Lift shackles
Loose shackles
Bad tierod ends
Worn out steering box
Steering box in need of adjustment
Worn out steering shaft

Have somebody turn the steering while you inspect everthing.

something else to think about: the short wheelbase.
my dad has 2 full-size gmc trucks - one is an extended cab. when he has driven my jeep, he says "its all over the road". i can take my hand off the steering wheel while going down the road and the jeep tracks straight, so i know there is no problem with the jeep.

SWB Jeeps do have 'quick' steering, very noticable if you get used to driving something that responds slower to steering input. Sloppy steering is when you have to turn the wheel 1/4 turn to get the jeep steering to respond.

The steering is a little loose, but I'm getting more used to it. I checked tie rod ends, and they look pretty bad too, so I'm going to replace 'em this weekend. One more thing, has anyone had experience with the K-link Steering system? I read some stuff about it and it seems nice.

Just like my steering problems that I have yet to cure... Steering wont respond until after about a quarter turn from center. But still have stuff to do.

Back