Slightly off topic, help

jps4jeep

Super Moderator
This is aimed towards Snitty, but anyone can definatly chime in. here's the deal.
couple weekends ago me and my boss put a plow on his 88 chevy truck. it is a 4x4 with a 4.3 V6. We put torsion bars from a 88 2500 in it that were new from the dealership (bolted right up) put the plow on and everything, drove around for a week or so with the blade still on the truck. It snowed monday morning and my boss got to work and plowed. after about ten minutes with the truck in 4wd, he said he heard this nasty grinding sound and a funky smell (this is with the blade up while driving in 4wd). put it into 2wd and it went away. T-case is full of ATF last night we changed the front diff fluid, no metal or anything out of the ordinary. Put into 4wd on a lift and all was well.
we went home and he called me and said it did it again when he tried 4wd.

What is the problem?
Do you think the torsion bars are effecting anything? They were identical to the old ones dimension wise? There was no modification done to the IFS?

manual or automatic? if it is a manual, it could be excessive strain on the clutch... a sound can be from anything mechanical... but a smell?? that is what makes it confusing... there's a few things that could be grinding, but there are not many things related to 4wd that would smell... i don't believe the torsion bars could have anything to do with it. the bars could cause extra strain on the CV joints if it lifted it at all... but that still doesn't explain the smell...

it could be unrelated to the plow or the torsion bars... it COULD be from driving in 4wd on pavement

I thought it was a clutch the second I heard that there was a smell but once he disengaged the 4x4 he said it was gone. (it is a 5 speed) He was not driving on dry pavement thought. we got about 3 1/2 inches that night so he had reason to plow. We took the plow off last night (blade and frame) and put in 4x4 and nothing so we turned the torsion bars up and put everything back on and no sound so we think there is something in the cv assembly that is binding under the weight.

Thanks Snitty

Back