Whitey is gone forever

TwistedCU

Well I sold my Wrangler today and bought a 2000 Cherokee Sport (XJ). My commute was taking it's toll on my YJ and the transmission going up was pretty much the last straw. Having an extra vehicle is just too much to deal with right now. So now I have an XJ with a 4.0 and a 4sp auto, power everything, air, grizzly wheels and I'm having a new set of BFG AT's put on. I have a loaner tonight and am picking up the XJ tomorrow. I'll be getting another YJ in the summer to build as a dedicated trail rig (I promised my 7 yr old son who cried for about an hour when I told him I was selling Whitey.) By then I'll be in PA and have a garage and a little more cashflow. The XJ is pretty sweet, but I already miss my Wrangler :cry:

It's the cycle man, sell one jeep, buy another.You had a sweet YJ man....I know it must hurt to let her go, but there is always another one.When you get the XJ, post some pics for us.

This is the XJ, it is more of a silver color than it looks in this pic:
PDRM0105JPG-3.jpg

These are the wheels going on it (With a new set of BFG AT's):
grizzlyJPG-3.jpg

Here's a parting shot of Whitey, I sold her to the Mechanic at the place I bought the XJ from. I got decent money for it even though I told him 5th gear was out.:

Startup checklist

Looks like a great XJ!You plan on lifting it?

PCV hoses

Not really, I'll probably leave it stock. I'm going to get another SWB Jeep, probably an old YJ and make it a project for me and my Son to build. I did see some small lifts that will accomodate 31's on the XJ's though. Oh my GOD IT'S HAPPENING AGAIN!!! hehehe

Hmmm, did somebody say winch, bumpers, racks, snorkel, trail seats, cb radio, etc? Sorry to hear it is gone. Good luck with the new girl.

Sweet XJ dude. You need a better Avatar though. It's just not the same. I can't debate politics and religion with Fred Flinstone!!! :lol: :twisted:

Since you are getting a dedicated trail YJ, you should mod the XJ a little, you know to give it a cooler stance and all. While your at it, get a 3" lift, no---make that a 4.5" lift, and some AT's---no, make that 33" Xterrains or boggers. And then, snorkel, k&n fipk, winch bumper, and, and, and, ahhhhhhhh!!!! It's not even my Jeep, and I'm already freaking out!

TwistedCopper said:
I promised my 7 yr old son who cried for about an hour when I told him I was selling Whitey. :cry:
Dude I just cried for about a hour! OK No I didn't but you will be happy with your decisions down the road! And if your not, just convince your self you are!

Oh and XJ's look killer with a lift and are pretty stout off road in factory trim!

Wow, I plan on keeping my YJ as long as it is still alaive. I really like this Jeep, and it would be very hard for me ti give it up. I'm definetely going to make it a trail rig once I graduate and start getting some more money coming in. Your plan is ceartainly good aswell. The new YJ will give you and your son some bonding time, and you will get to build her up from the ground again. Lots of look , and you XJ looks great!-al

To be totally honest, I regret it already. My son is tore up. I'm pretty shocked at how he's reacted. I promised him we would get a beater that we could paint green or camo and rip the fenders out, etc. He seemed a little better when I mentioned camo! I'm not gonna do much to the XJ, maybe just a budget boost (1.75") and 30 or 31's. The less I spend on it the more I'll have to put towards another YJ this summer.

plastic bushing in bell crank

Hey Twisted,

I can't believe what I am hearing! And I was building my YJ to be just like yours, and now my inspiration is gone!! Well I only hope you didn't sell it beacuse of the mods you made to it as I now will have the same rig only black instead of white... :lol: I plan on keeping my YJ for 20 - 30 years, and at less than 3000 miles per year, it is probably do-able?! As soon as the first warm day comes along, you will be back in a YJ or you will be driving the new XJ with no doors!

Dejavu!!!!!! Its been 6 months since I sold Miss Purple and bought the cherokee. Did you sell whitey locally? I see Miss Purple all the time and it hurts so bad. She looks real good tho I am soooo glad they are taking good care of her, but kind of bummed that she never has any mud on her, I know she must miss that :cry: I am over all happy with my dission the cherokee is much better for my daughter,(she couldnt watch sponge bob in the yj) and I love having the automatic for my long comutes. I definitly going to buy another yj or cj but im just waiting for the right time (money's rough here on the cape and im going to school) for now all we can afford to reg/insure is the cherokee and steven's bike. ut some day I will have another toy of my own its in my blood and I have to go mudding eventually or I might die :wink: Good luck with the cherokee its real pretty. Theres a time, place and reason for everything.

4 shocks are better than 3

outerbeachyj said:
Hey Twisted,

I can't believe what I am hearing! And I was building my YJ to be just like yours, and now my inspiration is gone!! Well I only hope you didn't sell it beacuse of the mods you made to it as I now will have the same rig only black instead of white... :lol:

Thanks for the kind words. No, it's not the mods, they were great. All of them except those stupid rocker mixups. It's just the 100+ miles a day were getting to be a bit much for it. A daily driver and a trail rig just can't be the same vehicle when you put on that many miles, hard as I tried and wanted it to work that way. I really couldn't take it off the road for a few days to a week to do any major mods. I'll be doing the next one very similar except with bigger, more aggressive tires and a 4.0L. One nice thing will be that on Whitey I learned as I went and the next one should be a little more fun and less choices and mistakes along the way, and when I go wheelin', I won't have to worry about doing crazy stuff because breaking stuff won't be a major impact on my daily life.[/quote]

Yeah, I totally know where you are coming from! I am lucky that my YJ is just an extra vehicle, not relied on for daily transporation. My wife and I just bought a new Nissan Pathfinder last month and I know I am NOT going to take it off road as it is her daily driver for work. (Okay, maybe we will take it out on the beach) I know, I know, we looked at Grand Cherokees but went with the Nissan, I didn't want to tell anyone here on Jeepz.Com, but it is a nice ride! Be nice... :)

Jps look at your sig that is blasphimy. hehehehehheh. It is the wifes after all. You can't push the jeep only on them all of the time, but you can try.

Hats off to you for being able to sell her... And I have much respect for you know seeing that your already training your son to be a future backyard jeep mechanic. I will sleep better at night knowing that the next generation of jeepers to come will be good, competent jeepers.. 8)

Back