Its almost that time of year

ZBTstang

Its almost time to start peeling off the soft top and cracking off the doors again. However I work alot, and I work in sort of an iffy area. I DO want to drive to work with the doors off and the top down from time to time. However im wondering all the steps I should take to keep my stuff safe, my jeep from being stolen, and protect against the elements as well.

So far heres what im thinking, if anyone has any critizisms of these things or any reason I shouldnt try them, or other things I can try, or forget please chime in.
- Upgrading to the reinforced glove box, and center console
- installing an add-a-trunk
- Buying one those "The Clubs", not really sure how else to ensure no one will drive off with the jeep.
- Buying the neoprene seat covers incase a shower hits, cause I wont be able to run out to my jeep.

If you work in an "iffy" area, I wouldn't go for the seat covers, they would be easiest to take off with. The Clubs are not worth the money, it's more of a makes you feel better type of item. The rest sounds like great ideas.

First of all, don't leave anything in there that you like. I have never had anything stolen from my Jeep, but had 3 other cars broken into a total of 5 times. I quit even locking the doors at night because I got tired of replacing broken glass.
A "club" is pointless in a Jeep. I think you could still turn it because of the angle of the windshield. Thieves will hacksaw the steering wheel anyhow. A better choice may be a hidden ignition "kill" switch.
You can get locking trunks or storage boxes too slow thieves down a bit. Make sure they are bolted to the floor.
I don't think most thieves go for stealing the Jeep itself. It's usually the contents. How many "G-Money's" have you seen chillin in a big, muddy Jeep lately.
The best deterrent I ever had is my dog sitting in the passenger seat. That may not be feasible if it's your daily driver though.

Depending on wether or not you have an Airbag, you can get removable steering wheels. THAT would be better than a club. As for the other stuff. Locks are for one thing only, to keep honest people, honest. I park in "iffy" areas all the time. top down with EVERYTHING showing. Most figure "hmmmm. no need to really check that out" then again the onlt thing I leave in there is my stereo which is 4 years old and no one wants that.

Does rain really mess up your electronics?? first time jeeper, just got it this summer. But if you leave it out in the rain during the day is it goin to mess up your electronics, like in your dash?? thanx

LR

Locks are for one thing only, to keep honest people, honest.

I second that....

If someone wants to get into your console or glove box bad enough, then they will just beat it up and cause damage trying to get in. I would just make sure you don't leave anything you don't want stollen laying in there. I thought about getting a Tuffy console, but figured it'd be pointless. If someone wants to check mine and take my drain plugs, then so be it!

I fabbed up an "instatrunk" and a security center console which I bolted to the seats. Last summer I didn't have a top or doors on at all, didn't have any problems. I also went with a kill switch, I hid it under the dash, works like a charm. One more thing I would do if I were you (which I did do) is rip out the rug and Hurculine the floor... the last thing you want is soggy floors. Don't forget to pull the drain plugs in the floors!

Oh and as for electronics, I had my stereo short out when we had a huge rain storm last summer, good thing it was under warranty. Now whenever I know a storm is coming I put the bikini top on.

If you want some ideas just click on my web link below, go under the jeep, all that stuff I mentioned is right in there.

LRwrnglr said:
Does rain really mess up your electronics?? first time jeeper, just got it this summer. But if you leave it out in the rain during the day is it goin to mess up your electronics, like in your dash?? thanx

LR

Rain will have very little effect on factory electronics! except foggy guages.
after market things like cd player, amps, cb that are not marine grade, ya those can get pretty screwed up from the moisture, they are no designed to get wet. something as simple as a bikini top will keep most of your dash from getting wet if left in the rain over night.

Good, got a free bikini with the jeep when i bought it. now just gotta figure out how to put it on. thanx

LR

If you get it this wet, you are out of luck though!
image-missing.png

I have a Tuffy just to protect the stereo. Its too easy to yank from the dash of a CJ. If I ever fix my CJ up so that its nice enough to worry about somebody taking it, I will be putting a kill switch in the Tuffy. You can always find a kill switch, but if its locked in the console, good luck!

It's wierd, I leave all sorts of tools and stuff in my Jeep all the time with no top, and no one has ever touched it. A while back, about 25 vehicles in my schools parking lot were broken into, but my Jeep wasn't. It was even sitting right next to several cars that were. I just can't figure it out? After that, I've never worried about it at all

THe only thing I ever worried about anybody taking on my Jeep was my doors. So easy to grab. They make locks for them but they're kind of obnoxious looking. My advice is get a radio with a detachable faceplate, and anything elso of value, take it with you in a backpack or something.

TwistedCopper said:
THe only thing I ever worried about anybody taking on my Jeep was my doors. So easy to grab. They make locks for them but they're kind of obnoxious looking. My advice is get a radio with a detachable faceplate, and anything elso of value, take it with you in a backpack or something.

I feel the same way, I just waited till I could get a detachable face plate and just went from there.For my cb, I have it hooked up to RC car connecters (DEANS).That way, I can just disconect the cb, unscrew the hand screws and its off to put away somewhere for safe keeping.

ZB,

I agree with the rest of the replies, take everything you don't need out of the JEEP and keep it that way. Get a bikini or something like that to stop serious rain from downpouring on you.

Last year was my first year of having my jeep and I had a huge leaning curve on these things. IT just so happened that I lived in a bad area, still do for that matter. ALso happened to be THE wettest summer/fall ever in my area.

I cannot tell you what destruction I've had done or I've done myself environment wise to my Jeep. After a good cleaning job or two though, all is well. All the rain, mud, grass, sand, and rocks haven't really affected anything long term that I can think of.

I am lucky having a new jeep i do have a locking dashbox and cetner console. I will say that those aren't 100% either but I did have a break in right after I got my Jeep. It was actually good thing, I had left the jeep stuck one night during Hurrican Isabel and someone broke into her and snatched her out of stuck for me. The dude broke my dashbox open and attempted to get the center console but it wouldn't break just damage.

I have been thinking bout some of these things lately too with the warming weather. I've decided the doors are coming off this year, even less to worry about stealing. lol I'll just keep it empty, keep the kini on and keep on trucking. As long as they leave me the Jeep itself, I should not flip out too bad on a break in.

Take care!
Lady :lol:

THe only thing I ever worried about anybody taking on my Jeep was my doors. So easy to grab.

If you have your going topless, why would you have the doors on? Just put em in the house for the summer and replace them with some footpegs!

image-missing.png

when i wash mine with the top off i completely and utterly soak the whole interior with no regard whatsover and have had zero problems for doing it.(i do have water resistant seats and a cj though...wouldnt recommend that on a yj or tj with the cloth though ;)

Well, last summer I took off my hardtop for the summer, and I was caught without my car cover a couple of time, and my Bikini Top helped me out. Of course, as soon as I got the chance, I would go and cover the Jeep, but when it did get wet, I simply took it to the carwash, removed the floor plugs, and wiped down the floor. The carpet was removed, put in the washer, and it came out looking like new. It is really not that bad. Heck, I even went to a mud trail , topless, and well, I got my fair shar3e of mud, muddy water, and whatever else is out there. I simply pulled the plugs again, and washed everything out. Our Jeepz where meant to ressist all the elements and occational showers. I;m sure if you leave it out in the rain all the time, then you might have a problem, but getting it wet from time to time should be okay. Get a bikini top at least though.-al

Joopin said:
THe only thing I ever worried about anybody taking on my Jeep was my doors. So easy to grab.

If you have your going topless, why would you have the doors on? Just put em in the house for the summer and replace them with some footpegs!

I was carpooling with a co-worker and although the doors spent most of the time behind the seats, an occasional downpour (more than occasional last year as Lady pointed out) saw me popping them back on for the ride to work or home.

my jeep made it through the hurricane that struck east coast last summer w/ no prob, only thing i had up was my soft top w/ no windows and no doors and another huge rain storm w/ nothing on at all, only prblem was that i messed up my turn signals for a day but who needs turn signals :roll:

Back