Gas prices

NormanW

Have you noticed the price of gas lately? Well I did a little research and found that much of the cost is tax. For example, here in Arizona for every gallon of gas we buy, we pay 18.4¢ in federal tax, 18¢ in state tax, plus 7.8% sales tax, and any local tax that might be in the jurisdiction. That does not account for the tax already paid buy the importer, refinery, and the distributor that are passed on to the consumer. If you think this is bad, I just found out that the Fed are proposing and additional 25¢ per gallon taxhttp://money.cnn.com/2003/02/26/pf/taxes/gastaxes/
If you find this as outrageous as I do, please call your representatives in congress and tell them what you think. Then pass this to others and ask them to do the same.

Thank you for your time.

just be happy that we havnt run out of fossil fuels yet!!!! those taxes are a good thing and the money goes to support many of the public works people take for granted..we have the same high taxes on gas her in canada(if not higher) as you do in the states. makes for a good incentive to conserve fuel. you could always buy a geo metro if ya cant pay at the pump :lol:

if higher gas tax aliminates toll roads i'm all for it... let the ones that drive the most pay more for road repair, since they do the most damage.

Mandrel-Bent Performance Advantage?

ummm...i didnt say anything about road maintance...i said public works which includes all kinds of soical programs that are vital liflines for the underprivliaged.( sorry if i gave anyone the wrong impression!) :D

my part of town is neglected by by the DOT, and most of the roads i travel on are dirt, and seasonal roads... i'm still paying for the others to be repaired, when mine are not even thought of

Utah_jeepster

Why the hell is a gas tax being used to fund social programs for the "so called" under-privileged? Didn't they already take out of my paycheck, property taxes, vehicle taxes, sales taxes, etc to pay for those programs? I say "so called", because I am not aware of any privileges that I have and they do not. As a matter of fact, most of the government offered assistance programs are unavailable to me because of the income that I earn......so in a way, poor people are MORE "privileged" in this country.

Gas along with everthing else we buy is over-taxed because we have too many ineffective tax payer funded social programs and government waste.

Rebuilt Transmissions

Let's over throw the government !!! or move to iraq where gas is cheaper . Bet there is alot of rough country there. You could get a posing shot of your jeep parked on a blow up school bus .....

Junkpile said:
Why the hell is a gas tax being used to fund social programs for the "so called" under-privileged? Didn't they already take out of my paycheck, property taxes, vehicle taxes, sales taxes, etc to pay for those programs? I say "so called", because I am not aware of any privileges that I have and they do not. As a matter of fact, most of the government offered assistance programs are unavailable to me because of the income that I earn......so in a way, poor people are MORE "privileged" in this country.

Gas along with everthing else we buy is over-taxed because we have too many ineffective tax payer funded social programs and government waste.

Well, I am happy that there is some kind of tax on gas. Without it, people, including myself would "waste" gas and not think twice about it. A few years ago, when gas was a lot cheaper, I'd "peel-out" at every other stop sign, along with countless of other stupid high school classmates ( I drove a sprtry car back then). Why, because it was fun, and because Mom paid for the gas bill. Today, I pay for the gas, and tires, and most anything that goes wrong with my Jeep. In other words, if it is going to cost me money, then I will probably not do it. If these taxes where not in place, and the 45+ cents of tax I (we) pay, we would probably have to start drilling some more oil rich lands, and using up our natural resources even faster than we already do. I like my gas powered Jeep, and I know that $30 to fill up the tank sucks, but it is something that has to be done. I will say this, this tax punishes poor people a lot more than it hurts richer people. Think of it that way.

To tell you the truth, I don't know exactly where the money goes. But compare the price of Soda ( Coke, Sprite, Pepsi) to the price of gas, and you will dicover that we pay more for soda than for gas. I do know that we depend on gas for our way of life, but I rarely hear anybody complain about the money they pay for soda and things like that. -al

I've paid more for a bottle of water than I have for a gallon of gas in some places!!! Talk about ridiculous! :?

There is a ton of wasted money in the govt and unfortunately the easiest answer is always to raise taxes. No I dont have an answer for fixing the govts problems but I do think more time should be spent watching the budget and trying to fix whats broke rather than raising taxes. All that being said this is a great country and I am not going to cry too much about $35 for a tank of gas. I am very glad thats all the negative we have to talk about.

judge09 said:
There is a ton of wasted money in the govt and unfortunately the easiest answer is always to raise taxes. No I dont have an answer for fixing the govts problems but I do think more time should be spent watching the budget and trying to fix whats broke rather than raising taxes. All that being said this is a great country and I am not going to cry too much about $35 for a tank of gas. I am very glad thats all the negative we have to talk about.

AMEN!

I hate talking (and spelling) polotics, but.. I am a consumer of the fuel, I need it, I pay for it. The government knows that so they tax the hell out of it, maybe! Some of those taxes fill the pockets of someone over seas, some pays for the import of the crude in to the country, Some pays the duty trade fee's, some of it pays for the refinment, cause the fuel our pressious auto use today is ten times better than the fuels of yesture-year. Some of that cash pays for the transportation and distribution of the fuel, and some of the cash pays for the attendent to take your money at the pump. The only portion that the government gets on the state level is the sales tax which not all states have. So I highly doubt that the tax placed on fuel is used to fund the super machine we call the federal government. Another way to think about it, How much does it cost to fill your tank? I know I can drive from Boston to New York City and use about 3/4 a tank in my YJ, that translates into ~$20 not that bad of a fee to pay to the mobility that we are granted.

But if you are more content getting a horse and buggy to get around, then go right ahead, but when the tax on hay and horse feed gets too unbearable, don't come complaining!

If you don't like it, Move to Europe, they pay roughly $5.00 per gallon!

HI STEER

But compare the price of Soda ( Coke, Sprite, Pepsi) to the price of gas, and you will dicover that we pay more for soda than for gas

yeah, you pay more per volume... but... $2 in gatorade (my preference, but you may substitute it for coke, sprite, pepsi, etc...) will last me much longer than $2 in gasoline.... i don't mind paying more for beverages than gas.... I go through well over $30 in gas per week, sometimes over $50... and i don't spend more than $20 in beverages per week

xterrains...

K_K_PSI_GUY said:
Well, I am happy that there is some kind of tax on gas. Without it, people, including myself would "waste" gas and not think twice about it. A few years ago, when gas was a lot cheaper, I'd "peel-out" at every other stop sign, along with countless of other stupid high school classmates ( I drove a sprtry car back then).

:evil: The idea that the government needs to tax me so I maintain self control is not an idea that sits well with me. :evil:

That mind-set is not very condusive to a "free" society, is it?
Yes, the country has expenses. Yes the money has to come from somewhere and taxing you and me is the easiest way to get it, but big government has run amok and although it is still the best one in the world, everything can be improved upon.
$5 a gallon in EU is scary, but they don't use as much as we do, which is one of the reasons we get it cheaper. The other reason is their governments tax people so they maintain self control. hehehe

Snitty said:
But compare the price of Soda ( Coke, Sprite, Pepsi) to the price of gas, and you will dicover that we pay more for soda than for gas

yeah, you pay more per volume... but... $2 in gatorade (my preference, but you may substitute it for coke, sprite, pepsi, etc...) will last me much longer than $2 in gasoline.... i don't mind paying more for beverages than gas.... I go through well over $30 in gas per week, sometimes over $50... and i don't spend more than $20 in beverages per week

Are you factoring in the "Beer" factor? Between coke, beer, bottled water and gatorade, my beverage intake demolish my gasoline intake. I for one don't really think what we pay for gas is too terrible, but it's not . Could be worse, there could be no gas, and no transportation. Small price to pay I suppose.

And last I checked, I had a little extra for a super-sized #2 from Mickey D's. Many don't.

TwistedCopper said:
:evil: The idea that the government needs to tax me so I maintain self control is not an idea that sits well with me. :evil:

Amen to that. It's a shame that some frivolous bastards ruin things for the rest of us! Convenience is more important than responsibility to most people unfortunately. But Government needs to stay out of my bathtub (so to speak). It'll be like "1984" before too long. Screw that. I'd rather walk to work. :?

BTW-Sorry to post twice.

What burns me up is that the U.S. spends all this money putting out oil field fires and removing dictators from power in the Middle East and how do they re-pay us? Jacking up oil prices.
We should get some free gas until they pay us back for all those billions it's going to cost to re-build and upgrade the local governments in Iraq.
I realize our assistance is unwanted by some groups in Iraq, but something just isn't right about us spending all that money to improve the government and civil works without any form of repayment.
Maybe I'm just not seeing the "big picture" on this one.

Back