1972 Jeepster Commando for sale

Kru

Hi Guys,
I want to give you guys first dibbs on a 1972 Jeepster Commando that I have had for quite a while. I have been holding it with the thought of restoring it. I have recently realized that I don’t have enough lifetime left to accomplish everything on my “To do” list and some things have to go. I drove this vehicle until I parked it just where it is now. It has been sitting for years and will need to have the old gas taken out and probably a new battery before I would even turn the key on them. I have had this vehicle since Sept. 1994 and drove it regularly until sometime in 06. When I first bought it I had all the fluids changed. Since then I have used it as a light duty farm vehicle. I have used it infrequently and for intermediate distances (5 to 50 miles at a time) mostly to pick up feed or make a run to the local trash transfer/recycling center. I never used it to deliver animals, manure or tow anything. It runs well with some white smoke in the exhaust on starting and everything on it works including all lights and all gauges. During the time it was sitting it was sometimes under a roof and when it wasn’t I made the extra effort to keep the leaves from collecting and sitting on it. Once it is running, cleaned up and otherwise and ready for sale I plan to put it on eBay. If somebody wants to save me some time, effort and expense not to mention crawling around under a car they could have it before I set a minimum price by making a reasonable offer.
It is a 1972 Jeepster Commando with the best un-restored hard top I have ever seen on a Commando. It has the AMC 304 V-8, 3 speed Standard Transmission, aluminum wheels, chrome roof rack, rear wind deflector and lots of spare parts that came from a 1973 Commando that is also included with the 72 in this sale. Both vehicles have complete titles. I have taken most of the reusable parts off the 73 except for the engine, another 304 and an original automatic transmission. According to the man that sold it to me this auto trans is worth something all by itself as a rare part but I don’t have any first hand information about that, maybe someone here knows? I have replaced many parts on this vehicle including but not limited to: Gas tank and fuel sending unit, all filters, belts, hoses, tune up parts, ignition coil, fuel pump, emergency brake cable, new tires, brake shoes, rebuilt carburetor, intake gasket, exhaust muffler and pipe and I had an extra leaf added to the rear springs. I put Aluminum wheels on it and new all weather tires. I have antique tags on it and it always passed Va. State inspection until I stopped driving it and parked the car. The radiator was re-cored and I had a rusted section of the floor under the drivers seat repaired. I have all the receipts for everything that I have done to this vehicle. It does not have stock bumpers but the shop made bumpers it does have will make it the winner in any accident and I like the way it makes the car look as solid as it is. This is a strong running vehicle that when I parked it completely worked including all the gauges.
This vehicle has some minor rust in typical places. This is the hard top convertible but I have never taken the top off and do not have a soft top. The roof rails and interior are intact and have only light rust. There is only one front seat in this vehicle and it did not come originally with this vehicle. There is also a back seat but it too did not originate with this vehicle. Both hatch struts are in perfect working condition and there is a spare pair in the extra parts box. I have a roll bar that came with the 73 but I have never installed it
Many parts from the parts vehicle and some that I have replaced from other sources are boxed and available with this vehicle, I have a list and will send it anyone contemplating a serious bid, photographs available on request. Before I bought the parts vehicle I drove it and it ran well at the time but since then I have stripped many of the parts from it and put them on the 72. In addition to the extra parts I have the Chilton manual and the Factory Service Manual. I am also offering Issues of “TRACKS” The Official Publication of the Jeep Registry. I joined the Jeep Registry shortly after I bought the Jeep and have all the issues from December 94 through March 97, when it apparently passed out of existence. There are10 issues with lots of interesting information and Jeep trivia for a Jeep enthusiast. I also have a 1967 Jeep Quality Maintenance Plan/Warranty Service Booklet. All this is available to one of you guys here on the forum as part of the whole package that makes a reasonable offer to me. I have a pretty good idea what it is worth and so do some of the guys here. It is available to anyone at any one of several internet sites. I believe that once I get the car running again it will meet the requirements for good condition and then there are all the extra parts, an entire power steering unit ready to install, extra parts to keep and use or sell to another enthusiast including the other motor and transmission.
Please Email your questions or offer and I will answer questions or send photos. This vehicle will be sold to the highest bidder with a reasonable offer about April 15, 2010. After that it will appear on eBay once I have it running again. I can be reached at (804) 598-5355.

Kru Heller
Powhatan, Va.

Back