4" lift for 95 YJ

papa175

I'm needing a 4" lift for my 95 YJ. Looking for best bang for my buck. Notice I say buck, not buckS. :p any suggestions?

Rough country sells affordable lift kits. If u really want to go cheap 2 ”body lift and a shackle lift. But u get what u pay for the second option will look ok... And not perform any better than your stock setup offroad. It all depends on what u want to do with your jeep. If you want to wheel your Jeep, I would grab a cheap 4” kit and sye kit to get started.

You'll regret the rough country after a year or so. Pro comp would be the best bang for your buck. Like insufficient funds says"You get what you pay for"

If your going for cheap do a soa conversion. That would give you your 4 inches or very close to it. Everybody knocks rough country but I've had my yj for over 3 years and never had a problem with it and that's what it had when I bought it. I don't wheel mine hardcore but it does a descent job on the trails.

I hear you all. So what's the negative details of Rough Country? What's SOA? I don't intend to hard rock crawl. Just get me to/from some more remote camping/fishing. I did find the front right leaf spring was slightly bent at the rear. Possibly from contact to the shackle. So I'm kinda leaning toward to springs. They're looking sorta......grandma/saggy :p

I have a 4 in rough country lift on my tj. My dad has the same on his 94 yj. Both has been on two years. No problems. No saggin yet. I would go with it.

Soa is short for spring over axle. You remove your axles, cut the perches off and remount them on top of the axles and mount the axles below your leaf springs giving you close to 4 inches of lift. You would also need to use a transfer case drop and a few other mods. It's also recommended to do a slip yoke eliminator to compensate for driveline angles. I've never done one but my buddy did his rig and he likes it pretty well. You need to have a welder and grinder handy or have access to one and have the know how to do a little fab work on the axles. The most common complaint with this kind of lift is the bump steer which can be cured by a high steer conversion. If this is your dd you'd probably be better off with a spring lift though.

U said cheap right? I have a SOA that I installed and fabed my self on my jeep. A SOA is not even remotely close to cheap. SOA is a whole diffrent beast than a bolt on 4” lift. you buy a kit for a few hundred bucks and everything bolts on and your done. SOA will give you 5.5 to 6 inches of lift. You have to adress a ton of issues your steering with a drop Pitman and some sort of high steer or crossover bracket. A sye because with that lift u will pull your stock driveline out. A CV driveshaft because of the drive line caster. longer brake like that will reach with flex u get. Decent springs that wont invert after going soa. A track bar that combats axle wrap. now u got a big lifted Jeep welll u will.want bigger tires. 35 and 33 over a short time with out upgrading or swaping out your d35 will end up in peice s. And the most important part is knowing how to fabercate and weld .Not to mention all the other little thangs that come up in a SOA build. I did mine on the cheap by fabercating and installing it all my self and ended up somewhere around 2000 all said and done. SOA is great but its for the more offroad end. Save yourself a ton of money and headache and pickup a 4” lift kit from roughcountry or whoevers fare and you will have a good lookin Jeep that dose some decent light to medium wheeling.handles close to the.samem That is the best bang for your buck.

What insufficent funds said!!!! A SOA done properly is not for the novice at all. Pretty much everything insufficent funds said and maybe a little more.. People think they can simply put the springs on top of the axles and get instant lift and be done, it is way more involved than that. I would get lift springs.

Awesome details. It makes it more clear as to what I need to do. Ok, next issue for me to address: tires. For me to even get to the mountains requires a 4 hr highway drive. Then, it's just forest/dirty roads. I don't see the need for MacDaddy tread patterns. Any tires recommended?

BFG allTerrian will look good perform well and get some decent miles out of them. Theres alot on the market and everyone has there own preference. Ive had good experience with them on my truck.

i like bfg all terrains and goodyear duratracs. both did good well i had them on vehicles. shoot, the new rims i bought today came with some used bf goodrich all terrains on them and even though they are close to the end of their life, they still look good and will work better then the all terrains i had on the jeep previously

Back