2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland

DMSchwinn

Recently purchased a 2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland with 139,000 miles from a tow lot with the hope of it being my son's 1st vehicle. It will start and run, but engine has a bad knock. While running it will lose oil pressure and shut off. I'm tossed between selling as is or continuing to drop more money in it to fix. For the right price I'm willing to sell as is.

This is a bit tongue in cheek... Rather than lose the money on the vehicle, buy your son a starter set of tools and say, "Have at it!" it will be the best investment ever, and he'll learn what it's like to own a Jeep! 😀

Sent from my XT1650 using Jeepz.com mobile app

If it is a v8 toss it in the nearest crusher.

If it is a 4.0 i6 then buy a Hayes repair manual and all tools needed. Once you have the tools get your son to fix it. As soon as it is fixed hand him the keys and tell him it's his. This is the best way to get him to appreciate the car. It will also make it so that if it breaks down he won't be stuck on the side of the road nor will a mechanic be able to rip him off.

Sent from my SM-J320V using Jeepz.com mobile app

This is a bit tongue in cheek... Rather than lose the money on the vehicle, buy your son a starter set of tools and say, "Have at it!" it will be the best investment ever, and he'll learn what it's like to own a Jeep! 😀

Sent from my XT1650 using Jeepz.com mobile app

Thanks for your service to our country and thanks for your post. Excellent advice and if it was my 1997 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4.0 liter I would do just that. Not ready to part with it yet. 219,000 miles and running strong. My fear is the 4.7 liter engine may be junk. Hoping to get feedback on that particular model.

That's my biggest fear is the 4.7 is junk. You can see from my other response I love my 1997 with a 4.0 i6. Runs like a top. Plan to get 300,000 plus miles if it doesn't rust out first. Thanks for the post.

4.7 v8 is known for blowing head gasket. While they also make both a 4.7 i6 and 4.7 i8 as well for a total of 3x 4.7L engines. The inline engines are more reliable and have as much as 30% more power/torque.

Sent from my SM-J320V using Jeepz.com mobile app

Back